November 15, 2012

Holidaze!

When I lived in the UK, I realized that there was no psychic speed bump like Thanksgiving to slow people down en route to the winter holiday season, just a scant 40-ish days from now.shift your shoppingOnce again this year, I have made the commitment to shifting my shopping from big box stores, multi-national websites, and impersonal palaces of purchasing to small locally-owned and operated shops.

I hope that you will join me in making the pledge to shop where you live. Of course, if you live in the high plains in Arizona, or the wilds of Alaska, you’re excused from this.  shop locallyBut the rest of you - take the time to shop locally, shop at small businesses, shop on Etsy, shop someplace where the person helping you is happy to see you and even happier to help you.

Are you in? If you are, feel free to take a screen grab of either of the two images here and share them on your blog, your Facebook page or anywhere else it might make people think about where they shop.

10 comments:

  1. I totally agree - NO box store boxes under my tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what about tag sales? recycling a book a vintage hard bound edition of a favored author a vintage college pennant a great chair? I found a a great print from an artist divesting their inventory...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been shopping etsy and ebay. I also shop in one or two local shops where I always shop. But there are some things that only come from catalogs. I can't get out into the crowds due to colds. I catch them too easily. I'm almost done with my shopping which makes me very happy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also thinking about a hand-made Christmas this year. Perhaps a handmade book of stories my Grandmother used to tell me for my darling great nieces and nephews. That is all I have come up with so far, but I'm really liking the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea although I do also support the people whose livelihood depends on working for those big box stores. The ones I know don't do it as a first choice by any means.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Meg... i can't believe we are all thinking and talking Christmas... this year has evaporated before my eyes... i hope all is well in your world...
    Have a wonderful weekend, xv

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im absolutely with you Meg..apart form helping the local economy,if people want local shops they must patronise them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.