February 2, 2010

Stopping in the ‘Hood in a Snowy Evening*

Whose ‘hood is this, I think I know.
It’s Pigtown or Washington Village, though; 
You will not see me stopping here
To watch my ‘hood fill up with snow. 02-02-10 003 
My little dog must think it queer
To stop without a friend’s house near
Between the ‘hood and frozen creek
The darkest evening of the year. 02-02-10 007 
He gives his collar bells a shake
To ask if there's some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake. 02-02-10 004 
The ‘hood is lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep. 02-02-10 008

*With apologies to Robert Frost

11 comments:

  1. That's great! I love that poem. I recently found a great picture book version of it in the children's section that I will at some point buy as a coffee table book. You're version, though, pictures and all, is charming!
    - Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. As is this snow (for once!). Though we're supposed to get whomped by another storm this weekend.

    Here's one by Emily Dickinson that's also lovely, if in a less contemplative vein:

    I counted till they danced so
    Their slippers leaped the town,
    And then I took a pencil
    To note the rebels down.
    And then they grew so jolly
    I did resign the prig,
    And ten of my once stately toes
    Are marshalled for a jig!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to memorize that poen in 5th grade... and I can still recite it. Fun the way you changed it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up with a Frost fan (my father) and had to memorize this one as a kid, too. I love it.

    I bought the picture book for my nephews this Christmas. It's so sweet...and my father loves reading it to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i enjoyed your re-do on this frosty morning

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures are excellent, as was the poem, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an amazing show last night. Winter wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, that dusting of snow...so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are getting way more snow down there this year than we have up here in Maine - we haven't even had any school snow days! Our daughter in school in London is also getting more snow than we are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adore your "Frost"y inspired poem! With all the snow headed your way, you may have a great deal of time to write more! (oh, by the way, charge your camera, phone and computer battery just in case of power outages!) Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.