February 15, 2010

Pillow Talk

I’ve never been addicted to drugs or alcohol, but fabrics may be my downfall. Because DeBois Textiles is so close to my house, it’s simple to pop over there and check out what is new. They are kind enough to let me poke around in the warehouse section and take some small bits and pieces of fabrics, most of which are less than a yard.02-15-10 012 After I made the pillow for my mother, and realized that it was pretty simple, I worked on another one. 02-14-10 007Because the pieces of fabric are small, I have to be creative in how I make the best use of them. I was playing around with some pieces and came up with this pillow, using some of the Trina Turk “Sunglasses” print as the accent. 02-15-10 004I took the pillow over to show the gang at DeBois and a man who does upholstery was in there picking out some fabrics. He asked to see the pillow and after he examined every seam and stitch, he declared that I couldn’t possibly have just learned to sew since it was so well made! That really delighted me.

I also showed him my pig-adillos, one of which had been dog-tested this morning by David Wiesand’s Jack Russell, Pinky. 02-15-10 001 He ran around with it for about five minutes and only one of the eyes fell off! I am pretty pleased with that performance.  Here’s a little video I took of us throwing the pig to Pinky.

Here are some of the other combinations I’ve been playing around with for future pillows.

02-15-10 006 02-15-10 007

I can’t wait to play around some more!

20 comments:

  1. Meg - this fabric addiction is making me giggle. The pillows are terrific - can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love! this is an addiction i can get behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pillows Meg, and great minds think alike, I did a post at almost the exact same time called pillow talk!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Meg! How fun! I would be in SO MUCH TROUBLE if such a fabulous place was so close to me. An intervention would definitely be necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pillows, love the fabric samples in the end!

    I love Imperial Trellis, is this what it is?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have real talent. Very impressive, these pillows. You have me on the verge of getting one of those sewing machine things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, okay, I am making plans to come to Baltimore just to get my hands on some of these fabrics.

    Hope to drive through on my way to East Hamton project.

    I can't wait!

    DeBoise here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have no idea how much you are killing me with all of these fabric posts. I must get to this place. I see an etsy shop in your future? Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe you have started your own arts and crafts movement. Just wait until you get gobsmacked by the trims! Love the pig-adillo, especially the first where you manipulated the fabric for the best snout!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HBD... I need to get the right "foot" to be able to do trims. I am sure that will be coming next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pillows - and think you can "support your habit" by adding them to your etsy store!!! Either that or I see pillows floor to ceiling in your home and Conner peaking out through them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. are you taking orders yer? They all look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. fabric fetish indeed- did you have a snow day today - i tried to get my pooch to watch the jack russell video- if the dog barked or growled i would have had more luck - nice work - you should make a knitting needle rollup case next

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make the pigadillo?! Pretty please send me a pic. That is theee cutest thing ever! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meg, Are the black and white patterns available in large pieces? I'm almost finished with my brown drapes, now I need to start two more windows and those would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meg ~ you are amazing! Wow. Keeping yourself busy with all the snow time!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Pigtown! My choice would be pillow 3.
    de

    ReplyDelete
  18. When my Great Aunt Louise passed away, she had stacks and stacks of textiles, trims, buttons and I interited many wonderful bits of glorious fabric and trim. You are inspiring me to get a move on, drag out the sewing artillery and get cracking.
    I want to make some summer skirts and easy shifts.
    pve

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.