February 9, 2012

Tie One On!

It’s been a fun couple of days at the office. On Tuesday, at a meeting, I found out that the kids in residence with us are learning to tie scarves and ties as part of their life skills classes. And they’re going to show everyone their newly acquired skills at an all-campus assembly on Valentine’s Day.We had purchased white shirts for them, but when it came time to buy 55+ ties for the boys and 10+ scarves for the girls, it just wasn’t in our budget. Shocking to see how expensive even the least expensive ties are.

So I sent out a mass e-mail to everyone on our list, and within minutes, my e-mail started binging with people replying to tell me that they would be happy to donate their ties! And their scarves! I have packages coming from across the country from people who want to help, many of them readers of Pigtown*Design.  And people are doing this quickly, because we need the scarves and ties by Monday for Tuesday. I am in charge of the scarves, and put together a little booklet for the girls about different ways to tie scarves.

Envelopes, boxes and bags filled with ties and scarves for the children we care for is the best Valentine present they could have, because it shows that there are so many people who want to help them!

So, from me, and our children at Woodbourne, thanks so much!

9 comments:

  1. What a great project!

    I love your new blog header photo. So fun.

    Hope that you are well.

    Grant

    grantkgibson.com
    grantkgibson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope the young ladies learn how to tie a Windsor knot for their beau--when the time comes most impressive

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful show of generosity by your friends and such a worthy cause. The young people will always remember this. I just found your blog and being your new follower I welcome your visit and comments.

    Helen Tilston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, could you still use additional ties? I would love to contribute to a wonderful cause and since I'm local I can get them to you quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have ties to donate if you still need them. I am new to your blog and don't know the "in residence" you are referring to. Sounds like a good thing, whatever it is!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a grand project! Good for you, Meg.
    I love the new header + a good picture of you. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to suggest you print the instruction booklets and sell them to make more money. I would certainly buy one for women.
    No matter how often I see it
    done I can't get it to work when I try it. I notice you use the trad method but I am sure you could tie it any way you want since you are so talented. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meg, how great of you to organize this wonderful cause! Did you get enough ties and scarves for the children?

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.