December 22, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

At Woodbourne, we have been overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers this week. Truly awed by the generosity of people whom we do not know. 12-22 010 The response to our video, posted at the end of last week has generated more than $3,500 in on-line contributions, plus nearly $2,000 more through the mail.

Today, we received a shipment from a new and very generous donor of a huge assortment of board and card games from Amazon.

12-22 001 12-22 003

I also received another wonderful package, but unfortunately, I can’t read the name on the card, and there’s no return address. If you sent this package, please e-mail me!12-22 002

Another donor stopped by with more than 130 fleece pillows and blankets that she’d made. This is a great present for the kids, since they frequently arrive with nothing at all, and having a blanket or pillow of their own can be a great comfort to them.12-22 009 We have also gotten lots of art supplies, including coloured pens and markers, art pads and paints. A lot of the boys wanted journals and we got a few of the magnificent Moleskine notebooks! Another friend made cookies and a cake and also sent over a crate of Clementines for the kids. You can also see a carton of binders, which some of the boys also requested. They have school binders, but they like to write down their thoughts as part of their therapy.12-22 005Everyone has joined together to help Woodbourne make this a holiday season that our children will remember forever!

16 comments:

  1. In no small part thanks to you, Meg. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I could play at least a small part in all of this. You've done a great job raising awareness. I hope the giving never stops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Meg,
    I am so happy for you and your boys.
    I have the Woodbourne link in the right hand margin of my blog, and hope it has done some small bit of good.
    Merry Christmas darling.
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know looking at each one of those gifts, I see each one of those boys from the video. I can feel their happiness coming on Christmas morning!
    Thanks again Meg for making us all get into the spirit of Christmas.
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. your post made me tear up a bit, meg. i couldn't be happier for you, and your charges at woodbridge.

    lots of people think blogs are self-indulgent vehicles for narcissists, but you've proved they can be more then that- how lucky woodbridge is to have you on their team!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg, I am so happy for you and the Woodbourne kids. I can't shake that video from my mind--so moving, the simplicity of their requests.

    My eyes are a little wet too. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Meg,
    Your generosity of character is so infectious that we have all benefited. Happy Christmas to you and all your precious charges, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meg this is so heartwarming.....a very special Christmas for the children!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thrilled for you and the boys and the wonderful response - best wishes for a happy Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy for you and your boys.

    Merry Christmas to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made me believe again. I am wishing you and all the boys a Merry Christmas Meg. I am only thinking how grateful they are for you this holiday & everyday. Your devotion shines through. God blessings to each & everyone x deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is better than any Christmas story I have ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the first post I have read on your blog, finding it through another with the title, Kindness of Strangers.

    I am so touched by the boys... I posted a post with the links on my blog just now...

    thinking of you all and remembering the kindnesses of strangers in my own life...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Just wow! I love seeing the positive power of the internet in action. Your readers (and their readers!) have come through amazingly. And you did an amazing job of letting people know about these kids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simply beautiful...and hopeful...and powerful.

    Changing the world...one life at a time.

    Merry Christmas to all at woodbourne!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Author pigtown-design.blogspot.com !
    I confirm. It was and with me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.