March 12, 2008

Roman Doors & Windows

A lot of people had never seen this house and seemed to like the Roman face door I posted below, so I thought I'd scan the rest of the photos and show you. I can't find any information about the house, but I remember it was up near the top of the Spanish Steps. If anyone has any information about it, I'd love to know.

Reader Sara sent this information:
The Palazzo Zuccari was designed and built by Federico Zuccari, who also lived here and used it as a studio for his painting. The palace was erected in the 16th Century and has undergone numerous restorations over the years. During the 17th Century it was home to the Toscanelli family and in the 18th Century home to Maria Casimira of Poland. The door and windows are quite striking and were designed to resemble the face of a monster with the door as an open mouth and above it a large nose, two eyes and ears.
It looks like he's taking a big bite out of the tree!
The windows on either side of the door are slightly different. I love the round window!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the rest of the photos....I was wondering about those windows when you mentioned them earlier and wishing I could see them! Amazing whimsy...and I also love how that little round window over the main window opens...wish I could see inside this house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too funny, i had to stop back and see the rest of the photos. i can't imagine what the architect was thinking? it's almost borderline scary. it would be interesting to know the history of the house and reasons behind it's design. talk about a house that could swallow you whole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did a quick Google search - found this link with a photo: http://www.hotelscalinata.com/eng/
    location/location.htm IDing it as the Palazzo Zuccari, and this blurb elsewhere:

    Palazzo Zuccari
    Piazza di Trinità dei Monti, 14 Rome 00187 - Italy


    The Palazzo Zuccari was designed and built by Federico Zuccari, who also lived here and used it as a studio for his painting. The palace was erected in the 16th Century and has undergone numerous restorations over the years. During the 17th Century it was home to the Toscanelli family and in the 18th Century home to Maria Casimira of Poland. The door and windows are quite striking and were designed to resemble the face of a monster with the door as an open mouth and above it a large nose, two eyes and ears.

    (I suppose we could have guessed it would be an artist's home!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara... i must not have googled the right thing! Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wild windows. Don't you wish we could go back in time and hang out with Frederico? He must have been a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating place!

    Glad I'm not the window cleaner. I think I'd have nightmares....

    ReplyDelete
  7. such an amazing place! I need to put it on my list of things to see. I love rooms with quirky round windows :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this house, the windows and the door. It's like something from a fairy tale, maybe a city home for the witch out of Hansel and Gretel. It is too bad someone vandalized the house w/ graffitti.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Round Window= Oculus or "Bull's Eye."

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! I love the windows!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.