March 17, 2008

I love Daffodils

There are daffodils beginning to bloom around Baltimore. Not quite in full bloom, but little early ones here and there. I bought some daffodils, imported from England, when I was at Trader Joe's the other day. Their buds were closed tightly, but I put them in water and overnight, they opened wide.
I loved the long daffodil season in the UK, so was delighted to buy a piece of that memory. The River Taff in Cardiff had a long park along side of it with swathes of daffodils, and in fact, the daff is the flower of Wales. There were also loads of daffs in the local graveyard.
At the rugby games in Cardiff, there are 70,000+ people in the stands, singing and waving their inflatable daffodils (and leeks). In this video, you can see the fans waving leeks and daffs, but you can't hear them singing Tom Jones' songs. You might even see me somewhere in the crowd, too. Cymru am byth!
Today, I was at the local Asian market and saw this sign advertising daffodils. I bought spring onions instead.

11 comments:

  1. The daffodils on the dresser are so cheerful and lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. daffodils just make everyone happy 'cause spring is in the air.
    and the rugby team and their daffodils are nice too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps i scrolled down. i love the wire! filmed in your hometown? very cool.
    i have season finale on tivo. i'm bummed its over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that picture of the church! Daffodils don't last long in Houston at all. Houston doesn't really have 4 seasons. Spring and fall are fleeting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...For oft, when on my couch I lie
    In vacant or in pensive mood,
    They flash upon that inward eye
    Which is the bliss of solitude;
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils."
    ~ William Wordsworth (1804)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, Janet! I am impressed. I am more along the A.A. Milne lines of poetry:
    She wore her yellow sun-bonnet,
    She wore her greenest gown;
    She turned to the south wind
    And curtsied up and down.
    She turned to the sunlight
    And shook her yellow head,
    And whispered to her neighbour:"Winter is dead

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your arrangement at top- very pretty with the daffodils and the silver. We always call them jonquils down here, although I don't think that's technically correct.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I like both those poems!

    We have a few small clumps in our backyard with good sized buds on them. I'm anxiously awaiting their blossoming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. me too!! I really want to plant some in my garden this year!

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. the daffodils are blooms here too and they are so pretty. Such a cheery little flower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love daffs. Yours look just beaut.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.