March 9, 2008

Balti-Blog Meet-Up

The gracious and charming Julie at Kitchenography and I had a couple of area bloggers to brunch today. It was lots of fun to meet some incredibly creative and interesting new friends.

Julie has the most wonderful kitchen... it's on the ground level of their house, and it painted a lovely pale yellow. With the huge center island and the farm table, all of us were able to crowd around and eat together. She's also got the most incredibly stunning stove I've ever seen!
Anne, who is Prêt à Voyager, also writes for Design*Sponge and is an intern for Grace Bonney, the creative editor of that ground-breaking blog. Look for Anne's picture on D*S with Baltimore-boy, Christian Siriano, winner of Project Runway.
Janet, a curator in DC, writes the gorgeous ~JCB~. She and I took off after the brunch and went to the Book Thing and for a tour of Tivoli House, where I work. Janet scored a wonderful book on needlepoint designs that had the most incredible Chinoiserie frogs and turtles patterns to make. Take a look at Janet's blog, it's so serene and calm.

Rachel, at Hue Consulting, is a colourist who looks at the psychology of colours, and will be featured in an upcoming article in the Washington Post's bloglines section. She's also a member of The International Association of Color Consultants North America and teaches colour theory!

The rest of the crowd were food bloggers, some of whom I had met at a panel discussion we did a few weeks ago. They're all cooks, and I am a restaurant reviewer, so I was slightly cowed to be with such a talented crew. I even bought some pans so I could cook, too!

My take at the Book Thing was pretty good... Before we even got there, I got Julie to hand over her extra copy of the Diana Vreeland book, and I can't wait to start it. Although I am not a huge fan of mid-century modern, I couldn't resist picking up Mary & Russel Wright's Guide to Easier Living. It's illustrated with hundreds of line drawings and charts to help simplify living! I also found a 1978 House Beautiful among the dozens of 70's era HBs that were there. It's on the Quest for Quality, so I thought I'd see how their suggestions hold up after 30 years. Finally, I got a book on the Architecture and Gardens of Tidewater Maryland, a topic of great interst to our family.

10 comments:

  1. How fun!! Sounds like a swell time was had by all. And of course, you scored again at the Book Thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're like the Book Thing missionary!

    Nice stove! But good lord, that's a La Cornue and probably cost about double the price of the average car. Our stove is a much less exalted (and less expensive) brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for helping host/organizing! I was so wonderful meeting everyone. (And sorry you missed me talking about Christian, wasn't a secret. the blog is always a good back-up resource ;).

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you all had fun! I would LOVE a la cornue stove *sigh* -all those crazy colors too they offer them in!
    More great finds at the bookthing! Perhaps next weekend I'll finally get up there! Did some reoranizing this weekend and got another box full of donations! Hopefully I'll find a boxful of great FINDS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for hosting. it was really fun getting to meet everyone and talk about blogs and silly things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That stove! That kitchen! Seriously they are so expensive, but gorgeous - like a jewelry box in a kitchen. Pictures? I'm so jealous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg, I saw you spiriting things into your bag, but had no idea you had so many goodies! My 1968 Colonial Williamsburg guide book is quite wonderful. And I think I'll have to do a future post on the needlework book ~ I really want to do that bee pillow! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love collecting old copies of magazines and have a collection of very old House & Garden magazines. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great site - stumbled on it while searching for a La Cornue dealer in the MD/PA area. 'wondering if Julie purchased her stove from a local dealer?...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
    anyhow thanks for the good read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.