March 26, 2008

Regency at the Victoria and Albert Museum

The Peak of Chic had a wonderful post on Regency Redux the other day with some beautiful pictures and interesting thoughts. I received my newsletter from the Victoria & Albert Museum this morning and they're having an exhibit on Thomas Hope: Regency Designer. Hope was a designer and collector in the early 19th century and author of the book, Household Furniture and Decoration, which included line drawings and a scale for furniture makers. His two houses, Duchess Street in London and The Deepdene in Surrey were laboratories for his creative work.
One of the most fun links on the site is Design A Room, using Hope's actual drawings in three of his rooms, the Egyptian Room, the Aurora Room and the Third Vase Room, and then a blank room for you to design from scratch. There are furniture, ornament and ceiling options, as well as a huge range of colours that you click and drop. You can even print out your finished products.
The Victoria & Albert Museum is always hosting the most amazing events and exhibitions. When I lived in the UK, it was always a mandatory visit when I was in London. There was always something new to see, and their fabulous shop to visit.

10 comments:

  1. I received that e-mail this morning - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited about this exhibit. There's also a book coming out as well. Truly, my favorite museum anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the chair you showed on this post. It's gorgeous. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that museum...wish I could visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regency is my absolute favorite style. And I enjoy that museum very much. Can't wait to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great website! I haven't been to London yet, but when I do get there someday the V&A is on my top 5 list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To me Regency is so over-the-top. But one piece of any style, here and there, can always look smashing.

    I wonder what attracts you to the style?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer... I love the regency since it IS so over-the-top. It's also so detailed and intricate, and when you think that it's all hand-done, it brings an even greater appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Regency. Just say the word and it encompases the whole style. That mad bad Prince Regent, later King George IV, one of the greatest contributors to the Royal Collection.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.