March 23, 2008

Carleton Varney, Part XII - Banana Split Decorating

I haven't picked up the magic Carleton Varney book for a while and so I dug it out this evening after a long day with the family, including nine nieces and nephews fueled by Peeps and Cadbury eggs.

On the initial reading of this little piece "A Banana-Split Decorating Scheme", I thought that Carleton had finally let me down and that his advice wouldn't stand the test of time. Banana splits are delectable to the taste. We could all take decorating lessons from a banana split to improve the combinations of colours in our own homes." YIKES!
But he goes on to say carpet the room in a velvety vanilla. Place a chocolate sofa on the rug, flanked by two lounge chairs covered in fresh strawberry... Colour your walls whipped cream white and hang strawberry curtains trimmed in chocolate..." Hmmm, that actually might be pretty. Pink and brown are great together. Add a little lightness, and it may work. Through the magic of PhotoShop, this room might not look so bad... But I would change the name to Neapolitan.

14 comments:

  1. agree - Neopolitan is the better name. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cracks me up!!! I love pink and brown together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was with you, questioning CV, and still with you at the end. It could be wonderful! Definitely Neopolitan - you have a way with words (and pictures).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like pink and brown together too. But I don't know if I could do it in the living room. For my daughter's room.... maybe.....

    Blue and brown or green and brown in the living room, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that sounds like a really pretty color combination for a room -but ya - calling it a banana split seems weird. Is the cream carpet supposed to be the banana? Does that mean to have yellow accents with the pink and brown?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg, what a fun fun post! I love it! I love brown and pink together too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute post, and I love those drapes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what is strange....I have never tried a banana split. I think it was just the idea of everything mixed together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this would have to be one of the most original interiors posts I have seen!! Love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can always depend on the magic book for some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum, I'm hungry just looking at that room you've created. Lovely pairings: like a good wine with dinner. I think brown is such a versatile accent

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this!~ Those drapes! Adorable - what a darling room and post - just like you!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always wanted a chocolate brown velvet sofa.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.