September 20, 2011

Oxford Blues

I realize that all colleges and universities have to do what they can in these tough economic times. But it’s rather shocking that Oxford University, with its current campaign to raise a minimum of £1.25 billion, has licensed the use of its name to a firm in Hong Kong which will be making a range of Oxford furniture.oxford2I always think it is strange to claim a place that’s not your own. As someone put it, “you either look like a sad sack for trumpeting your credentials with furniture (as opposed to intelligence) or a fraud for buying furniture with the crest of somewhere you never went.”oxford3The licensing company puts it this way, “Each piece in the range has a relevance to the University, its Colleges, buildings or the unique heritage of the place, and has been produced to the exacting standards of quality and craftsmanship that one would expect for a range that carries the name - The Oxford Collection.”oxford8The prices I’ve seen, although they’re not on the Oxford Collection’s website, are rather eye-watering. The tutor’s chair is £780 ($1277) and the Radcliffe desk is £1,700 ($2675). oxford6 But saying all that, there are a couple of pieces I rather like.oxford4 This rug reminds me of the front hall of the first house where I lived in Wales. oxford7 This suitcase is fun, but I can’t imagine lugging it around. oxford1

For the rest of the collection, click here.

13 comments:

  1. Now, if that chair only had the Hogwarts crest on it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Restoration Hardware has that same chair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, honestly. Could they not find someone a little closer to home to manufacture?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ick. I don't understand wanting logos/crests/labels on furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Ick. I don't understand wanting logos/crests/labels on furniture."

    ....or on clothing, or handbags, or shoes, or anything. I'm with you Kathleen. I have a handy little "ripper" in my drawer that carefully removes stitching that secures logo tags onto things, I use it a LOT!

    -Flo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, I have never been a logo person. I cannot imagine wanting to be free publicity for anyone. That said, give me top quality any day of the week. And a bit of Channel or Hermes (and of course, my beloved Fortuny). Have a super week. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking of Oxford, didn't Dorothy L. Sayers say something like this-- A society in which consumption has to be artificially stimulated in order to keep production going , is a society founded on trash and waste and such a society is built on sand. there are wants vs needs and advertising plays into insecurities that buyers need certain things to make them artificially feel good or seem better. for more eye opening thoughts visit vancepackard.com ---you remember him a social critic --please everyone --a mind is a terrible thing to waste educate yourself

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I'm Anonymous II. I'm not really trying to be Anonymous, I'm just lazy about my computer skills. I don't have a Google account, etc.

    At any rate, I reiterate what the first Anonymous said. Restoration Hardware does indeed have the Tutor's chair pictured first. It looks much better without the crest. It's rather small, and surprisingly comfortable for its size. Restoration Hardware calls it the Professor's chair. I have one in my bedroom. Sit in it the next time you are in RH. You will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should say only that its awesome! The blog is informational and always produce amazing things.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As someone who has claim as a legit Oxfordian, those are horrid! But, nothing that Oxford alums would buy (because we all really only care about our College, which is one reason the University is having a hard time raising money)!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.