September 8, 2011

Add: Sir John Soane’s Museum

Ahhh. This has to be one of my favourite places in London. And it’s the newest addition to the Britain’s Best Buildings series of videos on the Guardian.imageSir John Soane was responsible for designing some of Britain’s most memorable buildings, so it’s only fitting that his house in Lincoln’s Inn Fields should be one of the best buildings.imageIn this video, the narrator compares Sir John’s architecture to poetry. The Soane Museum is the personalization of all of Sir John’s theories on architecture and light.image If you’ve never visited it in London, I recommend that you add it to your list, especially the candle-light tour they give on Tuesday evenings.imageThis video, combined with an article from last weekend’s Wall Street Journal Off Duty section describing one of the rooms at the house, with more than 120 mirrors,Soane WSJ will give you an excellent idea of what a special place this museum has in many people’s hearts.

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorites too. I know I would LOVE the candlelight tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, me too. I love Hogarth, which I think the charming, slightly eccentric docent found unexpected in an American -- I remember having what amounted to a private tour of the picture room with all sorts of fascinating information. I think I need to plan a trip now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please! And I NEED that room in the last picture. Need, do you understand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably the best house museum in the world! Just around the corner from the British Museum and definitely a must-see for anyone who visits London! On my list of best Big Smoke museums, it is up there with the major national collections. I second the candle-lit tours, never gone on one, but have heard amazing things about them from close friends who went.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.