July 23, 2011

Mammatus Clouds

This morning, I got up early to go to a yard sale. This isn’t just any yard sale though, it’s the one that made me famous! {smirk} As I was driving there, I kept noticing the amazing cloud formations, a type that I’d never seen before.clouds 007Now, I am a dedicated cloud-watcher, and love keeping an eye on the weather and the sky. I’ve sailed for years, and even took a class in college called “Wind & Weather for the Serious Yachtsman”, a bit of a sexist title, I’ll agree, but I learned loads. clouds 008These clouds are called Mammatus clouds, because they look like mammary glands, or breasts. The clouds look like pouches which are hanging under cumulonimbus clouds. clouds 009 These clouds are often an indication that there is a severe storm forming, perhaps even a tornado. These clouds are frequently found along with anvil clouds, which indicate thunderstorms forming. clouds 003With all of the intense weather we’ve been having this week,  it's a strong possibility that a storm system is moving in. clouds 006“However, there is one environmental trend that remains common through all of the formation mechanisms; that is, that across the anvil cloud/sub-cloud air boundary there exist sharp gradients in temperature, moisture and momentum (wind shear), which strongly influence Mammatus clouds” per Wikipedia.clouds 005 These clouds are fairly unusual, so I consider myself lucky to have been up early enough to see them and to have the presence of mind to take pictures of them.clouds 011 They almost look like they’re paintings, don’t they?

11 comments:

  1. I've never seen clouds like that ever. They are very distinctive. Somehow seems ominous to think of them combined with such intense heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Grey Clouds and so fun to read about your treasure hunting in the Baltimore Sun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do look like artwork! Great photos. We were in the Pittsburgh Pirate baseball stadium last night and the heat lightning show in the clouds was amazing!
    xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are stunning - they do look like paintings...beautiful. Did a scary storm come? I cannot believe your weather. It has been around 70F here and lovely and cool, while the rest of Canada melts along with you - perfect as I do not like the heat.

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really were fantastic, weren't they? Watching them develop was incredible. Everyone at the market was stopping in their tracks and whipping out cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those are fantastic! so glad you took photos and shared the info -- who knew?! i love looking at clouds, but i'll be sure to take a closer look from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A boobstorm! This is what happens when someone angers the goddesses... they all lay on their stomachs and peer down to see who needs zapping.

    Thought you were showing screen caps from the newest Harry Potter movie there for a second...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post, Meg, and fantastic photos! Thank you so much for sharing! I have never seen or heard of mammatus clouds and I am a secret weather nerd. If this were April 1st, I would think that this was a great prank! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up in the Midwest with tornados and "tornado watches" every summer. Clouds like this with a greenish cast are always trouble. I vividly remember one terrible storm. I was so anxious my husband mixed a fast cocktail and then we ran down three flights of stairs to the basement. As I am calmly(relatively)sipping the cocktail, and feeling somewhat safe in the basement, with no warning hubs is bounding up the stairs and out the door! The straight line winds nearly blew him away. Then the air pressure changed and the door wouldn't open to get back in. it took me pushing from inside and hubs pulling to get the door open just enough for him to slip inside. Why would any sane person do this? Well, he's not sane. Plus he grew up in a temperate climate and had never been in a storm like this. "I wanted to see what the fuss was all about" is all I remember as I downed the cocktail in one gulp.

    I suppose if I had grown up some place else, I would find these clouds beautiful. For me, they inspire a huge dose of respect for mother nature and a run for shelter. Cocktails optional.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are stunning photos, they are reminiscent of some we would see in Oklahoma City when we lived there.

    Sending you a smile,
    tp

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.