July 15, 2011

Home Goods Style Score Quiz

I found this great little quiz over on How About Orange and thought I’d give it a try.  It’s for the Home Goods chain of stores, and was developed by Deborah Needleman, formerly of Domino, now of favourite, WSJ.Magazine.  You can take the quiz here and then come on back and tell me how you did!

I am a GLAMOUROUS CLASSIC!

You have a refined sensibility with an appreciation for history and tradition in your furniture and your rooms. You value beauty and craftsmanship. You are visually sensitive and understand how symmetry and a balanced layout give order to a room. But you definitely like to shake things up with some unabashed luxury and glamour to keep things from getting boring. You go for rich materials like velvets, one-of-a-kind objects, lady-like touches, glimmering accessories, and a sense of old-Hollywood romance that makes your home dramatic and elegant.

You value creativity. You are stylish and fun loving, and can be an inspiration to others. You have a natural sense of drama, and you know you have to be willing to take risks—whether with colors, finishes, furniture choices, or ideas—for your home to stand out. Your home can be happy and lively and the place all of your friends want to be.

Funnily, this is pretty spot on!  I call my style Rough Luxe, since I do like the finer things in life, but I also like things like my steel kitchen counter/desk and my 30 drawer steel shoe holder.7-27 0021. Your Design Challenge: ORGANIZE: The front hall sets the mood for your entire home. Consider how to accommodate all the room's functions as beautifully as possible. At the very least you need a console, and if you're short on storage, consider a dresser. Outfit the surface with nice trays and bowls for mail, keys and sunglasses. Keep a trash can for immediately tossing the junk mail. Closet-door or wall hooks encourage coat and bag hanging rather than dumping. It's nice to have a chair or bench for changing shoes, a mirror for last-minute lipstick checks, and a lamp or sconces for warm light.

This is a big issue for me, and I am really trying to conquer it in the new house. Although my shoe box is relegated to the mud room, I really want it in the front, so I can store my shoes as soon as I walk in the door! In the winter, I also store gloves/scarves in it, so it’s very practical.

2. Your Happy Place: Choose a color or two that harmonizes with the tableware you already own, and collect things like linens, glasses, dessert plates, or platters in those hues. This is a fantastic way to liven up a plain, white table setting. And if you can, set the table the night before a dinner party, so you can really take pleasure in tending to the details.

My china is blue and white, so it’s fun that my Happy Colours fit that range of colours.  I also have some of my china in plain white, so it would work with other blue and white china. I’ve been using hot pink napkins lately and that looks fantastic. blue-fluted-half-lace-jpg3. Be Party-Ready All the Time! Scent: The first thing you notice about a home is how it smells. Use naturally fragrant cleaning products. If you find a scented candle or fresh potpourri you love, stock up on it. Any scent you like, whether perfume or linen spray, can be used on upholstery, bedding or just spritzed into the air.
I just got an amazing strawberry-scented Slatkin candle and I also bought one from Williams-Sonoma in their fabulous pink grapefruit scent.

Mood: Nice, flattering light makes us feel good. So nix the harsh, direct light from overhead fixtures in favor of the softer glow from floor and table lamps. Also, stock up on some votive candles and a couple of hurricane lanterns for setting around the room.sunday 004[2]I never, ever, ever, use overhead lights. Ever. I love table lamps, and candles. My sister gave me three lanterns with candles, and I’ve hung them on hooks out in the back yard. I also have some beautiful candlesticks that I use, too.

Food: Devote space in your pantry or on a shelf for go-to party essentials: crackers, dip, chips, nuts—whatever you like to serve. Keep on hand a collection of attractive bowls and cocktail napkins, and you'll be able to set a spread—instantly!
Now that I am entertaining again, I always try and have the essentials on hand. Whether it’s a box of Triscuits and some cheese, or just chips, I am trying to be prepared to have company at all times. A lot of people have been stopping in to see the new house, so it’s good to do this!

Drink: The simplest and chicest thing is to have a drinks tray or table always set up. Include a mix of pretty glasses, an ice bucket, a lovely pitcher, and bottles of soda and water. When the bell rings, just add ice and limes.
Ha! Before I had a jar of mayo in the fridge, I had champagne and white wine!  I do have a nice silver ice bucket and a gorgeous silver water pitcher. I have beautiful William Yeoward glasses, so they’re always stunning to use for guests.
7-7 005 These are my Happy Home colours:happy coloursThis is pretty interesting, since the bottom center colour is basically what I’ve painted the living room and one of the bedrooms, and the top left colour, a sort of periwinkle is one of my favourites!

Take a moment to take the quiz, and let me know what it says about you!

25 comments:

  1. Not so sure about this quiz. I am a "Glamorous Classic"
    maybe, perhaps........but all my Happy Home colors are yellows and oranges, my logo is orange,but the only time I had a yellow room, I repainted in less than a year. Am I repressed? Oh dear, very confused now.

    Guess I have all weekend to sort this out. Thanks for shaking up a quiet Friday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg we must be best of friends, because we are both Glamorous Classics!!

    Do tell I must have a shoe chest like this. This is a huge problem for me!!

    I love the Periwinkle hue, and have a bath painted that color. My hall and office are a peacock blue!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    Come and join my Giveaway of a very special painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a fun quiz! And also eerily accurate. I'm a Bohemian Classic (shaking things up, here). You inspired me to blog my own post on it as well :]

    http://sfpastiche.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before all else a bottle of bubbly in the fridge and silver ready for service for drop in company?

    You are soooo my kinda girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got "Glamorous Classic" too, but my challenge was light and my colors were different. Its funny because one of the colors I have already used to paint my bedroom and another I want to paint the kitchen/family/great room. I'm supposed to hang mirrors. That question confused me because none really applied so I just picked one.
    Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was Bohemian Classic with the same color palette as you. Also similarities in candles, snacks for guests, etc. I think because I chose sitting outdoors for one answer, there was a lot about creating "rooms" in the garden. That must be the "Bohemian" part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even thinking about orange totally turned me off taking the test. If all these shades of blue are your style, then we must be twins. But my blues do tend to lean toward the color in the upper right corner--teal, turquoise, etc. I would be right at home in a Matisse palette. Do you find that the colors you like to decorate with are also the colors that look good next to your skin color and that you like to wear? Definitely applies to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My $.02... the colour orange is just the name of the blog where i found it... nothing to do with the quiz! go try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cat, you are an Elegant Modern
    well duh? funny my colors were all the colors my house is currently painted? huh, who knew?
    Good one Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marcheline, you are an Elegant Classic.

    My "happy colors" were all yellows and oranges and goldenrods... the exact palette I've been dying to paint my livingroom! (Where to put all the furniture that's IN the livingroom is the problem, as I live in a cottage the size of one of Snow White's dwarves' tighty whities.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am the same as Cube, a BOHEMIAN CLASSIC with the same color palette as yours...but my design challenge is MAXIMIZE, since I have a tiny condo.

    I do love Home Goods for good but cheap cooking items and fabulous but inexpensive frames.And occasionally...I'll find something off the wall that I need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning! I'm Bohemian Classic with orange and yellow paint tones and find this to be quite accurate. She mentions two things that I've been wanting to try; slipcover some larger pieces to add cohesion and use my outdoor space as another room extension. She's also correct about the fact that I have collected many accessory pieces that I already love. Very fun quiz! Thanks for sharing this link. Think I'll share it with my "decorating" girlfriends!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well...Maureen, you are a Country Casual.
    (I have to go back and read it all tonight. ) With my Victorian townhouse, and my years in England, I think that might just be Yorkshire Casual. ;-)

    My Happy Home Colors are spot on. I have red in virtually every room, even if it's just a touch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meg -- I still think your steel shoe holder is one of your coolest finds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will have to go and check this out! Looks pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a Bohemian Classic?
    I agree with some of the description but not a lot of it. I got the same blue color palette with y results and I don't have any blue in the house!?
    Love to take quizzes but this one has me baffled a bit.
    I do so love to go to HomeGoods though. Thanks for the fun experiment!
    A

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alison, it was the same with me. No blue (although I love it.) I took the test again this afternoon based on how I was feeling "now," and it says I'm an Elegant Modern, and my palette is now totally neutrals (which is true in my real home,) but pretty much the same advice as when I was a Bohemian Classic...and I have very little modern in my home. Still. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun quiz! I'm a Dramatic Modern. I'm fully on board with the dramatic, but I do like my classic traditionals.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! I laughed about the never using overhead lights comment...I'm that way too although I do use them on occassion when I need extra light (because I'm getting old and going blind lol) but otherwise no, I'm a lamp lady as I've been dubbed!
    So glad to have found your lovely blog...I'm your newest follower.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Meg, for suggesting that I push through on the quiz. A Country Classic I am, and the colors hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a Glamorous Classic and I need to focus on unifying the hodgepodge of stuff I have amassed. There was a comment about not being boring which did make me laugh. My colors were completely wrong- yellow and orange. I did feel that some of the questions had no appropriate answer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Apparently I am the only one here who got Elegant Classic! :-) Fun quiz, Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a Glamorous Classic. The colors are all reds and pinks and oranges, which I love, but I love lots of colors. My bathroom is painted something close to your periwinkle up there, though lighter.

    And no answer fit me for Question 9, so I just did eeni-meanie-miney-mo (sp?!).

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are in good company, A Room for Frances, I am an Elegant Classic as well.

    My colors are the same as yours, Meg, which is a little thought-provoking given that I have only one blue room, no blue furniture, and five yellow rooms.

    Fun stuff, this. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow - nobody else is a Dramatic Modern? My colors were oranges and yellows, which surprised me at first, since most of my walls are green. But when I took another look around, I realized that most of my accessories and a lot of the furniture are warm and orange/red.

    Thanks, Meg!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.