December 12, 2009

I’ll Take This: Chair

The other day, I was visiting the upholstery shop with my friend, Christopher, who had to pick up a few pillows that they were making for him. I saw a set of four chairs that literally stopped me in my tracks. They were scattered around the workshop in various states of finish. 12-10 006I am not sure of the style, but they had the most elegant lines, with beautiful gilded wood and a stunning spiral design on the arms. Their backs were high and graceful. 12-10 004 I was enchanted and took lots of pictures of the chairs, never expecting to see them again.

Today, Christopher and I went to Halcyon House, the antiques shop owned by Baltimore’s incredibly stylish Stiles Colwill (more pix of this fabulous place soon). As we wandered through one of the bedrooms, which was filled with John Robshaw textiles and furnishings, I spotted THE CHAIR in the corner of the room! 12-12 044 Seriously, isn’t this just the most gorgeous chair? I love that it’s not covered in a traditional plain linen or velvet fabric, but the fun John Robshaw linen and cotton print, Madura Lapis!12-12 047 The trims on the chair are extraordinary, too. The pale blue that follows the gilt wood is perfection and the white and two blues piping that outlines the cushions is fabulous!12-12 069 The chair’s gilt wood detailing is amazing. The spiral with dots, topped by an acanthus leaf is sublime. The set of four chairs that I saw at the upholstery shop are apparently older than this version, but they echo each other perfectly.

12-12 068 12-10 007x

As you can probably tell, I am just madly in love with this special chair. And as soon as I save up the $4,500 asking price, I am adding it to my collection!

13 comments:

  1. And it would go so well with your blue and white china!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great with that fabric, fun to see it finished-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such grace, class and elegance. I don't blame you for lusting after these chairs.

    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa -- now this is serendipity in the extreme! The cosmos is calling . . . . Clearly, you were meant to have these chairs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will make them for you if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg, so beautifully crafted and finished I love the fabric and trim choices! Oops I just saw the price!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific chair, beautiful design. I believe it is an adaptation of a 1920s or 1930s chair by either Paul Iribe or Maurice Dufrène. Though of course it could be the real thing; who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun discovery - and true serendipity....you are meant to have one of those chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. John Robshaw on anything is a hit with me, but I especially love that someone would commit to such a fun pattern on an upholstered piece. Beautiful chair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a cool chair and transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That chair is amazing!!! I'll take one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. just catching up - somehow your blog stopped arriving in my mailbox daily - i have arranged another feed...did you change any settings? Love the chair - perfect for reading next to the fire - low and cozy - and love the blue/wh fabric

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cannot imagine what style this chair is. The silhouette and proportion remind me of French Art Deco, but the gilt finish, beading and acanthus motifs remind me of something between 1810-1840. I've never seen anything like it, and it certainly is nice to encounter something so unique and interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.