December 16, 2009

Helping at the Holidays

If you’ve been reading Pigtown*Design for a while, you might know that my “real” job is as the Director of Development for the Woodbourne Center. We are one of the oldest charities in the United States and were founded in 1798, after the American Revolution. We care for children who have behavioural and mental health issues and who have suffered from severe traumatic events, including abuse, neglect, addictions and poverty.

This year has been one of the most difficult years in memory for raising money. Foundations, corporations and individuals are all cutting back on their giving. The state has cut their funds drastically and has even asked us to give 2% back!!

As economic conditions worsen, it is often children who suffer. Their parents are more stressed than ever and their frustration is sometimes taken out on their children, who then act out and get into trouble at home and at school. They are often the unseen casualties in the economic climate.

But, through wars and depressions, in good times and bad, Woodbourne has been a refuge for these children, providing them with a safe place to recover from the traumatic events which have scarred their young lives.

My friends at Houpla! volunteered to make a short video asking people to help our children at the holidays. I hope that you will take a few minutes to watch our video and then make a contribution to either Woodbourne or a similar program where you live. I hope that you will also share this video with friends who might also be interested in what we do.

Thank you so much from me and from all of the children in our care here at Woodbourne.

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Meg! Hope you get lots of donations; I'm happy to be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to contribute. How do I send a donation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a moving video, well done.
    I plan on contributing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get lots of donations; I'm happy to be one of them.

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just showed my kids 13 and 10 your video. they are both into art and sports. they want to contribute with their own money and take a trip to michael's or plaza to send nice art materials.
    thanks for helping me keep us all on the right track at christmas.
    keep up the great work. love love love your blog. LT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg - this is one of the most touching videos I've ever seen. We are so fortunate and it's important to remember to give back to those in need. I just played the video for my children (ages 9 and 6) and it seemed to hit home with them, too. Our family will be making a donation to Woodbourne and will keep the boys in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for this. Claudia Gangi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.