August 10, 2009

Tote Bag Lady

It’s about 95 here, even thought it’s about an hour after sunset. A storm is brewing and Connor’s sitting at my feet. I was looking through my bag of books that I got at Book Thing yesterday and realized that I have way too many tote bags.

My new bag crush is the Seabag, made from old sails. I lugged some stuff home in a friend’s seabag the other day (tx y’all). I was on my college sailing team and was MVP my second year, so this bag really resonates with me. tote2Some of the bags still have the sail numbers and the patches where the spreaders have torn through the sails. If you don’t know, sails aren’t made from canvas anymore, but high-tech fabrics like kevlar and dacron. I always sailed on boats with great names, including Ozone Ranger, Psycho Killer, Blind Squirrel and Planet Claire.

As I looked around a bit more, I saw more and more bags. I have a great monogrammed tote bag from Ballard Designs that I throw things in for work. tote1 I have a black leather tote bag in the same shape that I use in the winter.

I have my books in a cinnabar-coloured LL Bean boat bag, and then the things I bought at the Farmer’s Market in a Cath Kidston market bag that “Just a Plane Ride Away” a Texan living abroad, sent to me.  These are made from recycled soda bottles. You can just see the Cath Kidston pattern in the lower left corner below.8-9 001I just did a post on my food blog about the different kinds of bags I see at the Farmers’ Market, and think that this tote is pretty great. These collapsible market totes have a great European design. tote3

Tote bags are a great way to be “green”, so in addition to being good-looking, they’re good for the earth. What kind of tote bag do you use?

16 comments:

  1. Ooh, I keep saying I'm going to get one of those collapsible totes... and that's a really pretty one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been lusting after both a sail boat bag AND that exact tote from Ballard for months! I definitely have my share of tote bags. Some days I have tote bags that I carry inside my other tote bags. It's a problem..I may need TBA (Tote Bags Anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys go to camp with an LL Bean Boat Tote. Can't get away from them...I like the sail boat bag. I need to update a little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bags are so stylish. A very nice collection.
    Me? I have a medley of Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and other random grocery store bags. There must be at least 40 bags here and there. I use them for just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have quite a few tote bags- LL Bean canvas (great pool bag), Vineyard Vines bag (custom for grad school's 50th anniversary), and just random other cotton bags. LOVE the sailcloth bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathleen... i don't have the nerve to count mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totes are fine but what were the BOOKS in that bag? We follow your book shopping with great envy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Planet Claire and Psycho Killer -- two great 80s songs and great boat names. Love that sailcloth bag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cookbook... i got some good ones. i will try and do a post tonight.

    julie... i was always rather partial to psycho killer as a boat name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I DO love those sail bags.

    I've got a million bags myself. Mostly of the LL Bean variety because they last forever. But I also love my beach bag. Not sure who makes it, but it's kelly green with big pink crabs all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came SOOOOOO close to buying one of those sailboat sail bags, and have been kicking myself ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must admit that I am a bag fiend! Just can't help it and really don't care :-)

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm true to my bean bag {I actually like the lands end version a bit better} reiter8 is another great site to get the sail cloth bags. I'm absolutely in love with those.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your sail bag and the brown bag with the crown! Right now I'm enjoying a French market bag and the wicker basket that hooks onto my bike ;-). I use my Cath Kidston bag (great pic by the way!) pretty often. I also love bookstore bags (one from Daunt Books in London and Selexyz in The Hague). Then there are my grocery store totes--Waitrose, Sainsbury, Tesco, and Japan Center.

    OK, maybe I have too many bags! I used to forget to bring the grocery store bags with me, but finally got into the habit after two years ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a tote bag junkie as well. My favorite currently is the co-op bag my daughter brought back from Switzerland this summer. But I LOVE your sail bag tote! Perhaps because I grew up sailing too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have lots of tote bags right now but I gave it to some of my cousins.

    Honestly, your bags are lovely... I'm thinking on getting one as pretty as that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.