January 11, 2007

Knitting Lessons


For Christmas, I gave my 12-year old niece/god-daughter knitting lessons. She learned to do the basic knit stitch this summer at camp, but she wanted to learn more, and I am not a good teacher, even though I knit, too. To give her the present, I wound a ball of yarn with clues in it. The first two lessons will be learning the stitches and the second two lessons will be working on a project – probably a felted bag.

It will be nice to spend some time with her alone. She’s the youngest of four children and I worry that she gets overlooked. I also missed spending time with her when I was in Wales.

We are taking lessons together at
A Good Yarn on Aliceanne Street in Fells Point. It’s a tiny little shop with a great selection of beautiful yarns. I like to support small independent stores, rather than the big box stores, even ones like JoAnn’s.

The last time I was at A Good Yarn, I bought some chunky alpaca in a lovely periwinkle. I haven’t made anything with it because it’s been so warm! Maybe having some lessons will motivate me to knit something other than a scarf.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I wish someone had given me knitting lessons when I was 12. I love it, but am having trouble deciding on my next project and the project after that...the choices of project and yarn and stitch pattern are endless. I haven't been to A Good Yarn, yet, but I do plan to check it out, as well as the Cloverhill Yarn Shop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.