November 4, 2009

Remember, Remember…

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot,
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.
guy-fawkes

November 5th is Guy Fawkes Day in the UK. It’s the day that the plot to blow up the Parliament Buildings in London, along with the King was thawrted. To celebrate, bonfires were lit across the country. guy fawkes2

The tradition continues to this day, with the lighting of bonfires to celebrate, and to burn the Guy in effigy, and fireworks to acknowledge the role of gunpowder in the plot.

I’ve gone to two Guy Fawkes bonfire parties. The first was with my former housemate, and we knew that the Princess Royal (Anne) was going to be lighting the fire in our area, and so we spent about an hour trying to find some old ship where the fire was being lit. Of course, never saw the bonfire, but we did see the Princess Royal as she was leaving.guyfawkesThe second bonfire I went to was with my cousins, and we watched the neighbouring school shooting off fireworks and then we went to a dinner where they had a massive bonfire in the garden! It was a little strange seeing the fire, because there has been a ban on open burning where I live, since I was a child. GuyFawkes1People have big parties, and even wear Guy masks, which are all pretty identical. guy-fawkes-masks

Happy Guy Fawkes Day, and don’t go blowing anything up!

9 comments:

  1. There was a movie with these masks starring Natalie Portman....what was it? V is for Vendetta or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest turns thirteen tomorrow. Seems cause for blowing something up, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to always be in London for Poppy season (something we don't really do here,) and "Penny for the Guy" day. I remember little children running down the street, gathering money for their bonfire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting .....thanks for sharing.
    Love the vintage postcard imagery .......
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Guy Fawkes to you! Great minds think a like, I posted a picture that you had chosen too on facebook today for GF Night. My husband is Scottish but I have never know about the history. Incredibly interesting. He remembers going door to door asking for a "penny for the Guy". Great post, really enjoyed it Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd give you a penny, if you were here! November is truly the motherlode of cool holidays to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I experienced two Guy Fawkes Days when I lived in London...I recall constantly being surprised by the sound of firecrackers being set off here and there during the few days leading up to November 5.

    I loved the poppies and wish the US followed a similar observance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful fun, nothing like a rousing bonfire - makes an exciting gathering every time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting ...I will try to behave and not carry around any explosives with me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.