April 1, 2012

Weekend Update, Part 82

On Friday, after I finished my appointment at the orthopedic surgeon’s office, with a verdict of a stress fracture in my knee, I headed to one of my favourite thrift shops, on a hot tip that they’d just received a donation of McCoy pottery from an estate. I am not a huge fan of McCoy pottery, but I heard that amongst this donation was a huge collection of frogs. Actually, I had no idea McCoy made things like this frog. I thought they just made things like this:Regardless, the Carry On Shop, which benefits the world-famous Johns Hopkins Hospital has a huge collection of McCoy for all of you collectors!

Another amazing piece that someone donated to the shop is a mid-century modern dining room table and chairs by Paul McCobb, the well-known designer in the 1950’s and 1960’s. His pieces are going for thousands on 1st Dibs, but this is selling for just $2000! The table is round, but it also has two leaves to extend it to seat eight! The stretchers on the table legs are a signature style of McCobb’s. All of you fans of Mad Men should hop on down to the Carry On Shop and carry this table away. You’re not likely to find a deal like this any time soon.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

On Saturday, I continued a long-time tradition of my family’s – having a stranger come to dinner!family olan mills 214 Well, not exactly a complete stranger, his mother is a blogger that I met up with in London last month, and she’d e-mailed me that he was working on filming for a documentary in Baltimore for several weeks. So, I invited him to dinner, along with the Chefs, and three rambunctious dogs. Hal Con 13[3]In all of the years that I have had friends of friends, or complete strangers referred to me by friends, come for a meal or to stay the night, I have only had one disaster. And my life has certainly been richer for knowing so many of these strangers, who are now friends.

Just to make you totally jealous, I will share the menu!

Parmesan Crisps
Belgian Endive with Walnut Salad
Pork Tenderloin with an Apple Cranberry Chutney
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
Roasted Asparagus
Chocolate Chip Cookie and Salted Caramel Ice Cream Sandwiches

Special thanks to Chef Dawg for helping out at the last minute when my knee was killing me and I had to start guzzling the wine!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

With this crazy spring we’re having in the Mid-Atlantic, I was shocked to see this:It’s unheard of to have peonies blooming at the same time as the daffodils, the forsythia and the tulips! I even saw some lilac buds trying to force their way open to day. If it’s this warm this early in the spring, I dread to see what our summer will be like!

15 comments:

  1. Oh, ouch! Sorry to hear about your knee, but it sounds like it hasn't slowed you down much!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats really early for a Peony to flower. That colour is beautiful. We've got popping much to early in the garden too.
    Salted Caramel Ice Cream Sandwiches sound delish.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a trooper with that knee. I didn't notice it slowed you down during your time in the UK. You must have been in agony! Look after your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone.

    Your weekend sounded great. Having strangers to dinner, I wish I could do that with as much gusto. I don't think I have it in my nature and at my time of life, is it too late to change. You have a huge network of friends as a result though.

    The Peony is wonderful, one of my favourites.
    Have a great week Meg.
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO sorry about your knee - total bummer! That menu is completely delectable-sounding... xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am curious about Parmesan crisps...could you please provide details- pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I lived near that thrift store! I love the idea of having strangers to dinner. And your peony is beautiful, but so many strange thing are going on with the growing cycle this year I don't know what to think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son the frogophile (I totally just made up that word) would be all over that ceramic frog!

    Although your tradition of inviting friends-you-haven't-met-yet to dinner is inspiring, I must say I'm DYING to hear about the one time it was a disaster... :-)

    I hope your knee heals up in a hurry, and that your loved ones spoil you properly in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you have made me crosseyed with jealousy.

    That thrift shop, that menu, your peony.

    Okay, I've just given myself a shake.

    I like you again and feel you deserve all the fabulous things/ people. happenings that come your way.

    Take care of knee please.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meg-
    Good luck with your knee.
    My lilacs are WAY ahead of schedule as I usually do not see them until the first week of May. I believe I will have a flowering bush by the weekend!

    xoxo
    pp

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything in S.Ca plant wise is confused + we've had scant rain this winter-you are so right what is summer holding for us! Menu sounded delightful, lucky you and the stranger/friend now..xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about your knee! I'm not a huge McCoy fan either, with the exception of the flower pots. Love those. I have three. You're so right about the flowers. Crazy, all this stuff blooming at the same time. I pruned my Knockout roses 2 weeks ago and they have since exploded with new growth. Great peony pic! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, Jones and I are coming over for leftover right now. I hope that you do take care of that knee....I think that rest is what is needed and I don't think that you are one to lay low for very long. Hurry and get better. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about your knee.

    And I think I can guess about your bad experience with a visitor!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sir Fop... rest assured that it wasn't you, but you got the experience!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, but I'm a nosy parker and want to know about the disaster visitor!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.