The big day is almost here and I’ve just found out that Earl is going to be out for the next two weeks! That means it’s on to me to oversee the project. YIKES!
We are starting with the front hall and
hope need to finish it by Thursday’s board meeting. Then the painters will go to the top floor and work their way back down to the lower staircase.
Earl’s guys have removed almost all of the furniture from the front hall and the paintings, quilts and information case from the walls. It’s a big echo chamber now.
When they removed the trophy case, the floor under it was in awful shape. There was a spot on the wall where something must have really banged into it and there’s a hole in the plaster. It’s fascinating to see through to the 150+ year old mortar, with coarse sand and pebbles in it. I wish we could have afforded to hire a historic paint expert to see what the original colours were, but in the scheme of things, we’ve got a lot more important things to do… like care for children! With this many layers of paint, there’s sure to be a lot of lead paint, so the best thing is to cover it. The most ironic thing is that there seem to be several layers of yellow paint… one of the colours we’d originally considered.