August 3, 2009

You Must Try This

Even though this is a design blog, I had to share this incredible discovery with you all! It comes courtesy of the New York Times' Mark Bittman who occasionally runs a series of 101 recipes, such as salads, hors d'oeuvres or summer dishes. None of these "recipes" are more than two or three sentences long, and none have measurements or long lists of ingredients.
Here's my newest discovery via Mr. Bittman's 101s: Make a crisp grilled cheese sandwich, with good bread and not too much good cheese. Let it cool, then cut into croutons. Put them on anything, but especially tomato and basil salad.
Everyone who I've shared this simple but incredible idea with has been smitten with it. Are you? I am!

17 comments:

  1. yum. I am so making those croutons soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Yum. I write about the tomato today too. I will have to try this and a wonderful time to do it. Are you familiar with the Edna Lewis Tomato Sandwich Salad? DEvour DEvine. If not I will post.
    ok-so also a wonderful flavor to savor is tomatoes on toast. la

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I always put tomatoes on my grilled cheese... next time I'll try this instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! and especially with juicy August tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have a grilled cheese anytime, anyplace. And sometimes, it's nice to visit a design blog and get such a treat!
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks heavenly! I love the recipe listed right after it too...love feta cheese on practically everything (a result of living next to a Greek church in my formative years).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark Bittman is elegance in motion. I think when I make this, I will coat bread with parmesan reggiano crumbs to crisp things up and add cheesiness. Farmer's Market Thursday night here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH, MY WORD! Does that ever sound good! I am going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HBD... Excellent suggestion!

    My sister suggested using a pizza cutter to cut the croutons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love grilled cheese sandwiches and Caprese Salad so this sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm. That sounds fantastic! That tomato salad looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM!
    I love anything Mark Bittman does and the way that he does it so casually :)
    merci
    Carolg

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yum. I am so having this tonight. Fresh tomatoes in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.