August 2, 2009

Books on Sunday

I interviewed someone today at lunch, which I will write about soon, but before I met her, I stopped by Book Thing, just a few blocks from where we were meeting.  I was literally in and out of Book Thing in under 15 minutes, which is a land-speed record for me. I especially wanted to go by there today because I’ve been collecting an huge LLBean boat & tote bag full of books to return and I just wanted them out of my house!!!8-2 002 Since I had so little time, I zipped to the Design/Decor section first and spotted Living with Antiques, A Treasury of Private Homes in America, a 1960’s book published by Alice Winchester and the Staff at Antiques Magazine. 8-2 006 When I opened the book, the first house shown was in Baltimore, and is that of a family whose grandson lived down the street from us here. Now I just need to figure out where the house that these images are from is located. 8-2 005

Although most of the book’s images are in black and white, there are some in colour, and you can get a good idea of how some of these houses must have looked. 8-2 008 But even in black and white, I can still tell that I do not like the “Ye Olde Early American” look with the swept hearth, hand-hooked rugs and homespun coverlets on the beds, of which there were a number in this book. 8-2 009It should be fun to read through this book and see what stands the test of time… and what doesn’t.8-2 012 I think this pavilion does, don’t you?

17 comments:

  1. I also love murals and mural'ed wall papers, I will never tire of looking at some vastly beautiful scene surrounding me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it might be in Ruxton, along Lake Roland? Perhaps Rolandvue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ILLG... I think I am going to send an e-mail to their grandson. My mother knew of the family, but didn't know where they lived. Of course, once I find out, there will be some house-stalking going on!

    {Are you from B-more?}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of you Saturday as I was in Baltimore! I dropped by the bookthing and got some GREAT finds! Funny enough I saw this book, living with antiques and contemplated taking it but am glad I left it for you! More on the books I got on my blog later this week: one real decorating 'find' finally!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am from Baltimore - I spent 7 years taking the light rail to Timonium and this photo remnds of one of the houses along Lake Roland (on the right side as you travel north) that I saw almost daily. I have been in DC for five years but miss Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the black and white photos. It forces you to see the spaces and proportions and shapes. Great find, Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracy, that's such a good point. The top two images are the same room from different vantage points. You can see the shapes and spaces so much clearer in the top image. In the 2nd one, everything blends in a bit more. Thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that painted landscape is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last image is of a "Love Aunt's" house Folly du Lac in Westchester County, NY. Aunt Barbra- Mrs. Lowe Fallon (think Lowes lumber also Butterworth and Blodgett Hopitals in Grand Rapids, MI, her maternal and paternal grandmothers) brought this house back from France just before WWII. She had a great deal of style. The library (shown on the dust jacket) has a wonderful patinated shade of olive but with more blue that headed it towards aqua. Mother still has the 'bureau plat' with puppy teeth marks on the legs. She showed top winning Wire Fox Terriers and Pekingese. The dogs were housed in a laundry room off from the kitchen. The Pekes all had little homes fashioned in the shape of pagodas. Alas, these were tossed before we could get up to NY to resue them. I do miss her. She was a card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon@ 9:13... Thank you so much for sharing such a personal story. I haven't had time to read the book yet, but I will pay special attention to this house.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey,
    Was in Baltimore this weekend (for a mini-vacation and to take a friend to the game for his 50th)!

    Forgot to hit the book thing (sad sad) but we did hit Housewerks which rocked. Dan was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mongoose... I hope you were rooting for the O's not Boston.

    Glad you liked Housewerks... Do you mean Ben? He was there on Saturday...

    ReplyDelete
  13. umm, although I lived in Aberdeen and remember going to see the old stadium in 1st grade-err I was cheering for the Red Soxs-sorry :(

    It was still a great game.

    It was Ben-why did I think Dan? We snagged the eames loungers :) which makes me a very happy girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mongoose1 - I'm jealous! I sat in those loungers about 3 weeks ago...and dreamed.

    Meg - I somehow missed your post from last Oct until today. The house you grew up in looks a lot like one I used to drive past when I lived in Mt. Washington that I loved for 2 reasons: it's gorgeous and also it was on the corner of Pollard Street (or Ave)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kit,
    They aren't at the house yet, they are still at House Werks awaiting delivery-so please go and sit I can share :)

    I've been ebaying and googling for awhile trying to find one that was within my budget...I'd honestly given up when bam. So you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. meg, is the Dupont house featured in this book? it is a contemporary house, but filled with antiques. just wondering. i loved that house as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Meg, I think Granddad may have had this book. I'm curious to check. Alice Winchester sounds so familiar.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.