August 16, 2009

Books on Sunday: A Variety

After a good jaunt through the farmers’ market and an interesting breakfast at a place right across from where the Ace of Cakes is filmed, I headed to the Book Thing. ace 003

Much randomness at the Book Thing today, but a good group of books. First up is Tales of the Unexpected by Norwegian/Welsh author Roald Dahl. If you think that Roald Dahl is just the author of kiddie books like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or James & The Giant Peach, this book will show you otherwise. These are short stories, each with a twist to the tale. I can’t wait! When I first moved to Wales, I worked at an antique store/haberdashery called “Tails and the Unexpected”. It was great fun.8-15 001

I found the October 2009 issue of The English Home magazine. Of course, there are loads of gorgeous houses in there, any of which I’d love to have. Since I know this isn’t in the stores here in the States yes, someone must have brought it back with them from the UK. 8-15 008Dee Hardie is familiar to anyone who has been a reader of House Beautiful for a long time, as she was one of their essayists. I found her book of stories, Hollyhocks, Lambs and Other Passions. Mrs. Blandings, this one is for you, if you’d like it! Here’s a nice story she wrote for a local magazine some years ago.8-15 004 One of the real prizes is an early edition of Patrick Dennis’ Auntie Mame. I’ve seen the movie, know the songs, and now I can read the book. Some of the greatest actresses have played Mame, including Rosalind Russell, Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur. I love the pink and black cover!Auntie_Mame A final little book and something I am sure will be a quick read is The Diana I Knew by Mary Robertson, for whom Princess Diana was working when she became engaged to Prince Charles. The two women kept in touch until Diana’s death, and this should be an private glimpse into a public life. 8-15 006I also took a bunch of books back to Book Thing, which I sometimes use like a personal lending library. I keep the books I really want and return the rest.

15 comments:

  1. Meg, your post reminds me of a store we have here in our village here in the Adelaide Hills. Chapter Two is a true little gem of a bookshop, tucked away, yet so welcoming. I've picked up many wonderful pre-loved finds & like you, return books as well, once enjoyed.
    Millie ^_^
    I'd love to join you on your Tour de Baltimore. I'm wondering if Qantas would 'sponsor' my flight across the Pacific in the interests of bloggy friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg - I'll treasure it as I have the first. Thank you, always, of thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bounty of books and lovely things to lure me away from my work and to do list. These reads shall be added to my list...
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bounty of books and lovely things to lure me away from my work and to do list. These reads shall be added to my list...
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  5. And he and his last wife, Felicity, wrote a wonderful cookbook, "Memories with Food at Gipsy House." After his death she completed a series of cookbooks for children based on his stories called "Revolting Recipes". We did a post on one of the books featuring Crispy Wasp Stings!

    This fall, granddaughter, Sophie Dahl, has a cookbook being published, well already published in the U.K.

    Keep those book posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to report back to us on "A lady's guide to elegant frugality."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Dee Hardie's book - yet another swell JHU Press book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with mamacita. Somehow "A lady's guide to elegant frugality" seems like an oxymoron or an impossibility!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I went back to check, I found that the section about elegant frugality was cut out of the magazine. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someone was REALLY frugal! But she was not lady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the cover on mame is fantastic! it's a fun read, but the movie (rosalind russel version) is one of the rare occasions when the movie far outshines the book for me. i dimly remember the book, but the movie? i can practically recite whole scenes...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, you CAN subscribe to English Home and it isn't too expensive for 6 issues. Just click on the link and go to subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. English Home magazine is available monthly at Barnes and Noble. Another wonderful magazine from England The World of Interiors, also available at B&N every month. It's the best, never to be thrown away. I am a photographer and spend a lot of time in England photographing some of the great gardens and architecture--I use these two magazines as references and have never been disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dee Hardie! Thanks for bringing back memories of her wonderful column. I still have a few columns from HB tucked away. It was a day of great sadness when she announced she was quitting as she had a lovely way of making the ordinary special.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.