August 18, 2009

Beach Houses: UK v. US

One thing I love about the UK beaches, as compared to the ones on the Maryland and Delaware coasts, is the vast expanse of them. In Wales, where I lived, the tidal range was about 10 meters – the entire Cardiff Harbour used to completely drain twice a day. beach7 Many of the beaches are rocky and it’s often chilly in the summers… at least compared to what we’re used to along the Mid-Atlantic Coast. beach8 Because no place in the UK is more than 100 miles from the sea, they seem to have a different outlook on their coasts than we do. beach2Scattered across the beaches in the UK are tiny little beach huts, many not measuring more than 100 to 200 square feet. They’re brightly coloured and reflect the owners’ tastes and interests. It looks like the house on the left may be Australians!beach3 Families keep these little places for generations and spend weekends and holidays there. beach1Along the Atlantic coast in Maryland and Delaware, almost every square inch of ocean-front property is filled with over-designed houses, each trying to out do the next one.

Oriel windows? Got’em. beach4 Turrets? Got those, too. beach6I call this “point and click” architecture, where there are so many disparate elements in one house that it loses all identity as a whole.  The purple house looks like exaggerated Victorian, but not in a good way. There’s just too much going on with the blue one, round columns, square columns, railings, etc. Your eye doesn’t know where to land. This looks like someone’s take on a classic shingle cottage, but it ends looking disjointed. Is it two houses? beach5 Me? I’d take one of the little beach huts and be happy!

18 comments:

  1. Me, too. Though I have always wanted to see inside one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love all of these fun little spots. Waves and a bed and I am happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, those American examples. I'm more used to Cape Cod beaches, and the largest houses generally hide a bit, at least the ones I've seen. I guess I'd best like something in between the two, but I love all the colors. But I go to the beach to walk as much as swim, so it can be cold, which limits the scale of the houses generally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree about MD beaches...they're certainly not where good design goes to live!
    Coming from cape cod last week, where the old beach houses are very simple little salt boxes -it's sad to see that many of these simple dwellings are being altered or torn down to be replaced with huge mcmansions. Such a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AD... the Delaware beaches are worse! Most of the MD part is huge condo towers which completely shade the beach in the afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our coastline is practically nonexistent. The little huts are darling and have always been intrigued by them.G

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of those UK beach huts. Do people actually stay in them, or are they just for use during the day? I suppose it is something like camping.

    Martha's Vineyard has the old Methodist camp where people built small "gingerbread" cottages. I have read that the owners would start with the basic wood structure, and then add windows and trim as they could afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon@10:29... I think it depends on how big the houses are whether people can stay in them. Most are kitted out with a cot, some dressers, and cabinets.

    I've seen the Methodist camp you're talking about in MV. It's really amazing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always loved the image of those colorful huts. Very cool. I'll take any!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the photo of those colored cabanas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the little beach huts - especially the bright and happy colors -

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and me both P-D! We just spent a week in a place that was the size of our bar room. Great porch, 110 yards from the beach a grill, cable for the kids and a/c for us. And that's about all I need at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FAB beach post... I would take a beach hut too... do you know where they are giving them away? Put moi on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those beach huts! I'd pick them too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen a fancy, show-off beach house in England. Not even in Salcombe, where the houses are much bigger than those colorful huts . . .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your rant about those toy town houses. Did you ever go to Whitstable when you were living over here? It's on the Thames estuary, famous for oysters,full of well restored fishermen's cottages and a great clapboard pub actually on the beach. And it's great swimming at high tide.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love going to the beach specially when summer and have a family bonding..

    i will visit this beach for sure..!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.