March 5, 2007

DEPARTURES Magazine

Apparently, if you're a Platinum or Centurion member of American Express, they send you Departures Magazine every other month or so. My boss gets it, but isn't very interested in it, so I get to look at it.

This magazine is aimed towards the high-end market, as evidenced by the articles and advertising. The inside cover is Ferragamo and the back cover is LancĂ´me. The inside back cover is for a jet service. But the articles are what makes the magazine so interesting. This issue features articles on Beverly Hills, Santorini, Jaipur and Paris for men.


The smaller articles are also worth reading and one caught my eye - an auction at the Doyle Galleries in New York of 600 pieces from David Easton's home in New York. The article mentioned two ivory inlaid tables with an estimate of $8,000 to $12,000 from a Welsh Castle.

I worked at a castle in Wales that was once owned by William Randolph Hearst and magnificently furnished. The contents of the Castle were scattered to the four corners of the earth in an auction in before WWII. I will write more about the castle some other time.

Looking at high-end auction catalogues is a great way to educate your eye as to what's what and what it's worth.

Take a look at the Doyle Catalogue and if you can, go to the auction!

4 comments:

  1. What a coincidence- calling Doyle to get the Easton auction catalogue was on my to-do list today. Looks like it will be an interesting auction. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things are really high and others are quite reasonable. If I am off that week, I may try to zip up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for bringing up auction Cat. I do a lot of antique inspired furniture for my clients, and I am always referring back to ld auction cat. they are like a masters lesson in antiques. I may use this idea for a posting on my blog, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.