February 10, 2007

Gutierrez:Studios

Chances are if you've seen some fantastic contemporary iron work around Baltimore, it's the work of Gutierrez:Studio. John Gutierrez is the youngest of ten children from an amazing family. One sister argued before the Supreme Court twice before she was 40; one brother runs a well-known landscape design firm, a couple of other siblings run the family's successful import/export business. All are terribly interesting.
John has been designing furniture for the ?? years that I have known him (his brother is my best friend from college) and is just getting more and more creative as time goes on. My god-daughter and I stopped by the studio this afternoon to check it out in the daytime… it was the scene of the infamous Groundhog Day party last weekend. When we arrived,one of John's artisans was doing some arc welding, which was awesome to watch.
The Studio is in a converted foundry in Clipper Mill, Baltimore, which still has many of the original workings in it, including a winch and pulley system that runs the length of the building. John’s artisans have access to an iron forge as well as a powder coating room, and almost acres of space. They have some signature pieces, including occasional tables and benches.
John’s work adorns some of the premier spaces in Baltimore, including the American Visionary Arts Museum, Pazo Restaurant, Tapas Teatro Restaurant and Anthropologie/Urban Outfitters in Bethesda. From the top, the photos are John's signature Occasional Table, Jellyfish stools for Atlantic Restaurant, a Film Reel table and the entrance sign for Anthropologie in Bethesda, Maryland.

I consider myself very lucky to know John and to count him among my friends, and to have seen his talent bloom over the years.

3 comments:

  1. HOW interesting. What a fascinating sounding family - 10 kids! I would just love to have a talent like that, really putting my vision into something tactile that people appreciate. What a super post, Fairfax - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may sound like a random comment after such a comprehensive post, but I think it's interesting to see what various Anthropologie stores in different cities look like, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew John as a good friend in the late 70's and into the 80's, but saw him infrequently thereafter. I have thought of him often over the years. I am quite saddened that he is gone. He contributed an awful lot in the short time he was here. My thoughts and prayers are with with both John and his family.

    mike

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.