December 15, 2011

Some Christmas Baubles

I’ve been getting some requests for my special Baltimore eggnog recipe, and at lunch today, my colleague, Jeff and I were discussing his tinkering with the recipe. Of course, when he and I have lunch, all we do is talk food, recipes and drinks. He’s the originator of the famous “Oysters Jeff-a-peake”, but I can’t give you that recipe. He’d KILL me!oysters_rockafeller_2 Here’s my Baltimore Eggnog Recipe with the super-secret ingredient. Shhh, this is just between us, so don’t let the secret out.

Baltimore Eggnog

12 eggs, separated
2 cups of superfine sugar
1 pint of brandy
½ pint of light rum
½  pint of peach brandy (the secret ingredient)
3 pints of milk
1 pint of heavy cream

Beat the egg yolks and the sugar together until thick. Slowly stir in the brandy, rum, peach brandy, milk and heavy cream. Pour into a punch bowl and chill thoroughly. Beat the egg whites until just stiff and fold gently into the eggnog. Grate a little nutmeg on top and serve in 4-ounce punch cups. Make arrangements for guests to spend the night.EGGNOG2[2]

Jeff’s tinkering included a little vanilla extract and some cinnamon, which he called Fog Nog. We talked, at length, about substituting spiced rum for the light rum, or just adding Wild Turkey Honey Whiskey instead of the three other liquors.

Then the conversation veered into having an eggnog tasting. We talked about different variations, including whiskey instead of brandy, maybe one with applejack and cinnamon, I suggested Cointreau and a little coffee liqueur (sort of OJ, coffee & eggs all in one drink). Then it got a little silly, so we stopped there.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You know I am a huge fan of the Scalamandré Zebras, so when I got this e-card from Scalamandré, I was enchanted!  It’s actually raining today, so I get to use my fabulous umbrella when I walk Connor.

scalamandre card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I saw this great little idea on Alamodeus and thought it would be a great use for the numerous tea tins that I’ve collected over the years.IndoorGarden_byDanielaGuasco In fact, I thought it might be fun to put my paper white narcissus bulbs in them. This is a windowsill herb garden, but bulbs might be good, too.

I think that this was really Christmas babbles, instead of baubles!

12 comments:

  1. Love today's post. The egg nog recipe sounds much better than our
    "family" one. The Scalamandre card is to die for, the zebras are having so much fun. Happy Nogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg: IRISH WHISKY in the nog.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had eggnog, but all your variations sound interesting. Love the tea tin herb garden and agree it'd be great with bulbs too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the gifts that I look most forward to receiving every year is a Ball jar full of "Ted Nog" that our dear frends Ted and Betsy make and distrubute to their lucky friends. It is wickedly strong and divinely delicious, and impossible not to drink it to the last drop in one greedy noggin' session. We have been so taken by it in the last couple of years, that when we've finished it, we run to the corner market and buy premade egg nog and a quart of bourbon, and well, it all goes down hill from there...No wonder we slept through midnight service last year, fully dressed for it but no match for the bed that beckoned to us so pleasingly for what we thought would be just a short nap beforehand...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That eggnog recipe looks both lethal and delicious. The sewing ladies seem to talk about food more than about sewing or crafting, which always amazes me. I tell myself at least there are no calories in the talking, but sometimes I wonder. LOVE LOVE LOVE the tea tin herb garden. Can't remember the last time I saw tea sold in a tin, but I shall keep a look out for it now. Babble on, any time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was at MICA about a hundred years ago and living in Bolton Hill, we made the most amazing eggnog from the Maryland Way cookbook - to which I added Bermuda's finest - Gosling's Black Seal Rum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's my birthday! Grab a batch of that nog and head over to my blog for the party! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The good thing about eggnog is that you can justify drinking it (perhaps lots of it) because of all of that great protein found in the eggs. Be well--Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meg, I think the tea tins are a great idea! ...wish I had a windowsill to use.

    Your eggnog sounds yummy. The recipe that I use is from a Williamsburg cookbook and very similar, if not the same as yours. The addition I've used over the years is Southern Comfort which my family loves...they call it my killer eggnog! Hmm, I know what's on my agenda this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't drink...but if I DID this nog would be one delicious guilty pleasure!!! And I adore that Scalamandre' card! I think that large umbrella will be my birthday gift to myself come January! A girl MUST plan ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that idea for the Twinings tins, I have so many of them, what a great idea.
    DI
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oysters ahh a bit of onion bacon and cheese hits the spot

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.