December 12, 2011

A Bit of Boxwood

I got a few handfuls of English boxwood at Ladew the other day and decided to use them the way I have for the past few years… as sort of a topiary. Box in a box, as it were. box 008 I had a toleware box with a liner, so I added some dirt and just started putting in the boxwood. I will water it every so often to keep it green, but when it dries, it turns a lovely buff shade.

I did this at the old house, when I had access to acres of greens, including boxwood and magnolia. greens 007I literally had a contractor trash bag full of greenery and wanted to use every bit of it.  greens 024I put a little handful into my father’s silver christening cup and tucked some behind an old clock.

I know some people absolutely hate the smell of boxwood, but I am a huge fan of the plant, and even its scent. Are you?

9 comments:

  1. I love boxwood. The scent reminds me of childhood visits to Williamsburg. It doesn't grow here (that type), and I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea on the boxwood. Connor is THE BEST porch decoration of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny I was going to say it reminds me of visits to Williamsburg too. I love the scent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg I adore boxwood it always looks so fresh and classic!

    Please some and enter the latest of My 12 Days of Holiday Giveaways! You will love the unique gifts!

    Xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boxwood always reminds me of the house across the street from ours in Lutherville growing up. The Waters' boxwood were HUGE!!!! Also of W&L...the campus is rife with them....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mink80, was that John Waters' boyhood house?

    Boxwood, schmoxwood, all I can see in that photo is the handsome, rugged, dignified swaddlesnout Connor. Yay!! I keep picturing him wearing a red felt Santa hat, with pride and dignity, natch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love boxwood, especially at Christmas! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE boxwood!

    grantkgibson.com
    grantkgibson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love boxwood and have planted a dozen bushes just to have plenty for Christmas. although they do look lovely in the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.