May 9, 2010

Flowers on Sunday – May 9

We’re coming into my favourite season – the one where there are fresh flowers everywhere! So I am starting a Sunday flower post for the next few months. may 9 001Today’s flower is four gardenias from my gardenia plant. Here in the mid-Atlantic, we can’t grow gardenias in the garden, so I have them in a big pot and take the plant in and out, according to the season. may 9 002 The plant is a cutting from a plant that has been in my family for 40+ years, so it’s hardy stock. I pruned it back last year and every cut was like a stab to my heart, because I was worried that I’d kill the plant. Luckily, it’s got tons of new growth, and now I am trying to make sure it grows evenly.may 9I’ve just moved it outside for the summer and it’s now sitting out in front of my house. It’s got loads of buds on it right now, and they smell amazing.

9 comments:

  1. i *love* gardenia. i had one for years and then all of a sudden it just died. i haven't had the guts to try one again -- maybe now i'm ready!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. A plant I remember vividly from my childhood, my mother's favorite. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K., Meg, here's what to do to avoid that "stab to the heart" feeling: every time you snip off a bud, or make a pruning cut, put the cutting in water on a window sill. In a matter of weeks you will have roots! Keep that family treasure going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! We just bought one for our dining room, I'll have to put a photo up so you can see ours. The fragrance is AMAZING! Happy gardening! *Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is off topic...

    I usually read your blog through Google Reader, but I clicked through today to look at a past post and saw your new blog header. I LOVE it! It's so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I so love gardenias! I've got a vase full of peonies from the yard in my kitchen at the moment. Love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple and beautiful! Love garden flowers, especially on the wallet!

    xoxo
    E + J

    ReplyDelete
  8. What memories this brought back. In the Washington, D.C. area, my mother was given a large gardenia plant (from a hospital visit,) and we did the same every year--taking the potted plant into the garden. It thrived. More miraculous, bringing it in to winter, and my mother continuing to keep it thriving (not an easy feat.) Just that ritual of the moving of the gardenia. It sounds quaint, and it was and is. Lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.