May 16, 2010

Flowers on Sunday & The Kindness of Strangers

At the Farmers’ Market this morning, I picked up another bouquet of peonies, and these are just stunning! may 16 026 They also smell so amazingly beautiful and their scent is wafting through my wee house.  may 16 027 The ones I picked up at Whole Foods lasted nearly a week, so I am hoping these do too.may 16 031 
I got an e-mail from one of my readers the other day, asking if I’d like some books. Barbara writes a delightful blog full of a wide range of topics, and I am always learning something from her. We agreed to meet on Saturday when she came into the city for a family event.
First, it was a great pleasure to meet her and her family, and I appreciated their hospitality. Second – OMG! What amazing books! I have not yet finished looking through all of them – there were about 30 in total.  There were wonderful books on Versailles, gardens, homes, decorating and more, but I did pick some immediate favourites. Of course, 1000 Buildings of London and 1000 Buildings of Paris were two top choices. 1000 LondonMark Hampton On Decorating is a perennial favourite, and a book that should be in everyone’s library. I am anxious to read Duane Hampton’s new book, Mark Hampton, An American Decorator.may 16 036 With a new house on the horizon, Charlotte Moss’s book, Creating a Room, A Designer’s Guide to Decorating Your Home in Stages, should come in quite handy. Although there’s not much work that needs to be done on the new house, I am sure that there will be a lot of decorating ideas I want to put into place.may 16 035 One of my favourite type of books is old etiquette books. Two which were included are Elegance: A Complete Guide for Every Woman Who Wants to be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions, and Entertaining with Elegance: A Complete Guide for Every Woman Who Wants to be the Perfect Hostess on All Occasions. They are both written by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux, and were written in 1964 and 1965 respectively.
may 16 032 may 16 033
There was a book called “Elegance” about a woman who finds a copy of the original book, and decides to follow all of the rules it sets out. {Click the link for a great review of both.} Funnily enough, I picked up a copy of that book at Book Thing last week.  And now I realize that I have a copy of the reprint of the original Elegance that was published in 2004. There’s not much information on Mme. Dariaux, except that she worked at Nina Ricci and other Paris Couture houses.
Finally, as I mentioned the other day, Gore Dean is selling some of my pillows, and I thought you might like to see a few pictures of them in situ. If you can’t get to Baltimore, you can always find them on my Etsy shop.
may 16 010 may 16 013
may 16 008
Lots going on this week, so stay tuned for details!

10 comments:

  1. Your peonies look great - there is nothing better than those big showy blooms. Hope your first day was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gore Dean is selling your pillows...Meg darling, you have arrived as they say! So exciting!!!

    The books...generous and wonderful assortment. And, I too have been going crazy way cutting peonies from my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peonies, books, and pillows....oh my! Still hope to make it to your fabulous fabric haunt some day and now to Gore Dean as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have started planting out a whole peony garden in the new abode (no blooms on them here for a little while yet) - they are my favorites and these are lovely! Super choices on the books!!! And congrats on being in Gore Dean - how fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pillows are getting chic(er) and chic(er) (don't know if that's a word)-chinoiserie gorgeous. And I'm jealous of the books. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mme. Dariaux is a Lucindaville favorite. I was amazed at how well those books worked as reprints, like they were written last week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Dariaux books are really fun, you'll enjoy them.

    Congratulations on your first line of pillows being stocked at Gore Dean!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love those books - have a few in my library too - I have one of the Dariaux books - but did not know of the elegant decorating title - enjoy your new stash

    ReplyDelete
  9. i adore paeonies
    but
    they don't adore our dusty dry climate
    sigh
    at least i can gaze wistfully at lots of them via the internet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.