May 25, 2010

Bits & Pieces… Literally!

As I am sewing, it just kills me to throw away the bits and pieces left over from my projects. I was trying to think of something to do with the left over pieces, and last night, I thought that I needed something to replace the über-ratty Tibetan prayer flags in my back garden. 5-25 01

Do you know about Tibetan prayer flags? They’re squares of light cotton in bright colours with prayers printed on them. Tibetans believe the prayers and mantras will be blown by the wind to spread the good will and compassion into all pervading space. As wind passes over the surface of the flags, which are sensitive to the slightest movement of the wind, the air is purified and sanctified by the mantras.5-25 02 So I thought that I would try making some bunting. You know… the triangle flags that fly over car dealerships and country fairs. I made a template for an elongated triangle and started cutting them out, using pinking shears so that the edges wouldn’t fray. 5-25 004Then I strung them together using some seam binding, and sewed them up. I made a nine-foot long string of bunting, and was pleased with the way that it worked. I think I need to use a narrower binding to make it more in scale with the flags. 5-25 005Funnily enough, this morning when I was reading The Guardian, there was an article on how to make bunting. Great minds and all of that… You can see the flags blowing above my a/c vent – Connor’s favourite place to sleep.5-25 006The house where I am moving has a wee back garden with a wood fence with brick pillars around it, and I thought some bunting would be a fun thing to help make it cheery.

garden @ 1104

PS… I want to thank Beth over at Chinoiserie Chic. She’s been featuring my pillows on her gorgeous blog and as soon as she posts them, they’ve sold!

9 comments:

  1. I love your bunting! Strangely enough I have my own post about bunting scheduled for this Friday. I made some (well, a lot actually) for my daughter's birthday party. I love the fabrics in yours. Mine were decidedly more kid-themed and not nearly as pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun will these be in your NEW back yard! You need to update us on the progress -whats going on? Whens the move in date?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, these are just great and what an amazing use of your fine fabric leftover remnants!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creativity is taking something and re-purposing it for another use! What a fabulous idea. The Tibetan prayer flags remind me of the bits of paper with prayer requests written on them that people roll up and place between the stones of the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem. Isn't it fabulous that the Lord can "hear" the unspoken prayers of our hearts?
    Keep those faith-flags flying! Maurie@GraciousInteriors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They will look lovely in your backyard. I can just see Conner lounging around on a sunny saturday with the bunting gently moving in the breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CBD... all i can see is connor trying to dig his way out. he just wants to be where he's not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous idea! I took home oodles of scraps from the drapery workshop I worked in and just organized them by size and type last week. I felt too guilty to throw out the tiny pieces because they are so lovely and I've made darling coasters as hostess gifts.
    An older child could help with this project too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just went over to Chinoiserie Chic to check out your pillows.......they are gorgeous and that price point could be popped up a notch or two. Love the combination of fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the post over at Beths, love the pillows love th little banner, all wonderful creations, Kathysue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.