August 6, 2007

Office Design

I started my new job yesterday, and got to see my office for the first time. I trusted that my new boss wouldn't put me in a cubicle. The building where I am working is an old estate that was owned by two well-known Baltimore families. One gave the money for the first free public library system and the other owned the local newspaper. The campus is loaded with 100+ year old oak and pine trees, which date to the building of the house. We have just gotten an estimate and a lovely donor to pay the $180k it will cost to paint the trim on the house.

The house is sort of Italianate, mid-1800's and is old field stone. This is actually the original back of the house, but we use it as the front. The hall is black and white marble tile. The building has 15-foot ceilings on the first floor and 12-foot ones on the second floor where I am. I have two huge windows which are north-facing, so the light is good. But the very best thing is that I have a huge marble fireplace! It doesn't work though.
The walls in the office are cream (ew) but I can't paint because we're going to be doing some historic colours in the near future. I want to get a great picture for over the fireplace and then some more for the walls. The windowsills are about 15" deep, so I will put some plants there to bring some life to the room.

Before I did anything on my first day, I turned off the overhead flouresent light and put a high wattage bulb in the table lamp on my desk. Whew, that made lots of difference. Do you have any suggestions for cheap and chic additions to make my office a bit more warm and friendly... after all, I am asking people for money!
This building is the school we run. We're the fifth oldest children's welfare agency in the country, having been founded in 1798.

13 comments:

  1. A large looking glass for the mantle - will help with the light.
    Keep the plants simple - limit to a type, say scented leaf pelargonium (always reminds me of Flannery O'Connor) or ferns, etc.
    Instead of pictures - what would you think of framed examples of calligraphy - golden rule type sayings -done by children - on the side walls in a large grid? Might help the ink flow on a few cheques!?
    A large rug and a couple of wing back chairs (covered in fabric also made by children). And, voila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, you know the sort of office I am working in! Although, thankfully the lighting isn't that bad where I am sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOB&C - my first thought was a huge mirror. I will begin hunting. The kids have a bunch of watch words, and I thought of having them framed and making a 9-square out of them. I am getting some of their artwork to use on an invite to the big $$$$ donors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking the same thing as HOB&C about the wingback chairs in front of the fireplace! In the summer a fern for the fireplace perhaps? Is it functioning? If not maybe a pretty firescreen in front: maybe you can find a vintage bamboo one! HOB&C might keep an eye out; I remeber their bamboo urniture post. Love the mirror idea. In fact all of their ideas are great!

    Beautiful building. You are lucky!
    Good luck with the new job.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. - what about having a fund rasing drive on here?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lucky girl!! Best of luck with the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful building! I can't really add anything b/c HBC and Katie both gave excellent suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful building...lucky you! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gorgeous building and you are in such luck to work there everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about a fab chair, like a painted arm chair in a great lime green. ALSO go to Urban Outfitters, that have the BEST rugs. One is in a limey yellow green with flowers or an orange and blue and purple indian type of thing. Go to their web site. They are only like 30 or 40 dollars. You could put one in front of your desk. Get two chairs really, one for the front and one for you behind it. Be sure to float your desk. Get great shelves from Ikea to hang on the wall behind and take some black and white photographs and put them all in matching frames on the shelves. Fab mirror for the fireplace. Target has great, cheap bamboo type blinds for the windows. Big, colored vase for the desk. AN a bright garden stool for next to the chair in front of the desk. OOOHHH, I'm having so much fun!

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you will love your new job. Sounds like the work is meaningful. Great architecture -- can't believe you get a fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all, congrats on the new job! I am sure you will be great at it.
    I agree maybe a mirror, but perhaps an antiqued one or else any movement that it reflects could get distracting. I definitely think a rug is a good idea,,, what about a hide? It's low pile makes it pefect for an office. Finally, how about some stacks of your favorite books?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! You are going to have so much fun with that space. That is my dream office, I have to say!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.