July 27, 2014

I’ll Take This: Church with London Views!

I don’t read the sports pages, I read the real estate pages, especially the ones in some of the UK papers. When I was browsing recently, I found this amazing place for rent in south-east London. Before I show you, a little aside: I was looking for a flat in London, and came across a sweet one, but it was small, and since I didn’t have any furniture (yet), that didn’t matter. I checked the price and saw that it was about £600. What a deal! Until I read a little closer and realized that was the price per week, and not per month! It was quite a shock and soon I realized that the rents in London were just too much if I wanted to live close in to where I was working.

But I digress… This place is on the market for a bit over £960 a month, or £4,110 per calendar month. But I’d say it was worth it, because this is the view from the terrace!image

And this is what you’re renting!image

It’s a four-bedroom house in an old church in the Crystal Palace section of south-east London. As the listing says:

This church tower comprises four good sized bedrooms, two large reception rooms, a cellar and a plant room along with a fully functioning clock. The tower further benefits from a lift, off street parking an a beautiful roof terrace with breathtaking views over London and some major landmarks.

image

The church was originally built in the 1860’s and converted to a family home in the late 1990’s. imageThe building still retains many of its original features, image

including its clock, clock mechanism imageand clock tower!

And there’s an amazing terrace at the top of the clock tower!image

It is accessed by a winding staircase, image

but before you reach the top, the church’s tower is there for you to enjoy with the light streaming in from all four sides. imageimageimage

All in all, a very well-done conversion!image

It’s available for short- or long-term lease, and with four bedrooms, three bathrooms, and a weekly price of about $1600, you could divide that between a group and have a pretty reasonable price and an incredible place for a week’s holiday in London. More of the listing here.

15 comments:

  1. South London always has the better views and the absolute best ones are the views from the council flats in Camberwell. But this is a very unusual property and Crystal palace has seen some huge price increases!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Jersey's views of NYC are the best going! So it's a similar thing with South London/London!

      Delete
  2. I wonder how it would change your outlook on life, yourself, your relationship to history and the world, to live in such a unique spot. And can't help wondering if it's haunted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My offices were in a 12th century castle and that sure changes your view of things. Thinking about how such a place operated on a day to day basis without all of the mod-cons we have now!

      Delete
  3. this is fabulous -and you're right, for a group of friends for a vacation the price is reasonable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like the Landmark Trust - you can rent a castle for a week for about $300 per person if you have a group.

      Delete
  4. wow is all I can say + such a wonderful property. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be an amazing place to stay, the architecture, the staircase and the roof terrace!

    xoxo
    Karena
    C. Z. Guest: American Style Icon
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see gathering a group of friends and renting this for a week in London!

      Delete
  6. Wow. That place is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds as though you have a London visit in mind - particularly your comment about not having any furniture (yet) Tell more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No... this is from when I lived there before...

      Delete
  8. Nice architects design and interior designing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.