April 9, 2014

The Downstairs Loo

As you may remember, I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with the downstairs bath in my house. It’s pretty small, but it does have a walk-in shower and it’s the bathroom that gets used the most. I tried papering a bit of it with pages of old books, but they make it smell musty, which makes me crazy. I also thought about some large-scaled papers a few weeks ago, here.

On the way to High Point, I stopped in Richmond, Virginia at a place called Diversity Thrift. It’s about 15,000 square feet of everything. It’s gotten very high marks for its vast and ever-changing inventory. As I poked around, I stumbled across a bin of wallpapers, many of them unopened in their rolls. The name Nina Campbell caught my eye and so I grabbed the roll of paper. IMG_0001

To my surprise, it was exactly what I have been searching for! It’s a pale colour, an interesting print and it will match the shower curtain wonderfully. Even better, it was dirt cheap.IMG_0003

So I grabbed all three rolls and stuck them in my cart. When I finally got around to checking the price, I could only find it in pounds…£52 a roll, in fact! With today’s exchange rate, that’s about $87 per roll! IMG_0006

The print is called Woodsford, and is named after a castle in Dorset, England, which is owned by the Landmark Trust. The house has one of the largest expanses of thatched roof in England. It’s available for rent and sleeps eight!image

The pattern is silhouettes of trees, similar to the Arbres de Matisse which Billy Baldwin used to great effect. image

It also comes in a fabric. The pillow on the right is the same colourway as the paper I found. Here are some images from the catalogue. image

image

I think I got a great deal and now I am excited to paper the small bathroom!

image

Oh, I also picked up a great blue & white tea pot, some books for the trip and a bag of crystal stoppers for decanters.IMG_0012 I always find decanters without stoppers, and resist buying them, so now I have a selection from which to choose!

19 comments:

  1. I enjoy poking around, especially when we're on the road and that is how I have acquired some interesting items. Great wallpaper Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. The only time I ever papered anything, it was the walls of what they said was an 18th century house in Nowhere Pennsylvania that I rented for a year. And I used paper just like that. Except not, since who knows where I found it. It always amazes me to see how similar tastes play out across different domains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I papered a huge room for a friend and it was a big bamboo trellis pattern. It always looked like the repeat would work, but then you realized that the drop was about 30 inches! I felt like there was soooo much wasted paper.

      Delete
  3. Meg - I saw that design on the O&L sale last month as well! But they didn't have that many rolls of it so I passed. And you are right it is very reminiscent of arbre de matisse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colour because it's a pale linen. I was soooo excited to find it. I am sure I will only use one roll... if that. But I had to buy all three, and will probably sell the other two.

      Delete
  4. What a great score, Meg! I have my wallpapering tools, that I can lend, and some glue left from my dinning room project. Let me know if you need them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Luckily, I think that the paper is pre-pasted. There's going to be a lot of cutting though!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous find Meg, I adore this paper!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  6. what great wallpaper! + will look good. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do love it. Especially with the nod to Billy Baldwin!

      Delete
  7. Great score! Beautiful paper. have fun hanging it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wallpaper is gorgeous! I've never seen anything like it. Can't wait to see it hung.

    ~D
    http://bmorebungalow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that wallpaper. You definitely scored with that one. Now I'm remembering how you got lucky with the Scalamandré novelty print fabric awhile back, too -- I need to tag along shopping with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful paper! Great find! Hopefully your bathroom has a good vent for the shower (if it gets used)...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to get a really outstanding deal, too! Great paper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when the perfect gift just falls from the sky!!
    Have fun with that project...small bathrooms can be very tricky!
    xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow meg-- I don't think this pattern has been discontinued!!!!. Sounds like a TJMaxx with a fancy name--- they by big lots small lots from the inventory of "failed' or poor located shops. looking forward to the finished product. P.S. did you meet Haskell Harris --she got hitched recently!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.