January 26, 2011

Books on Tuesday

Hideously, I had jury duty yesterday, along with 900+ of my fellow Baltimoreans. Since my number was towards to the very bottom of the list, I had to do a lot of sitting around and waiting. I finished my first book before lunch, and so needed to find something to occupy the rest of the day.

I stopped in a little used bookstore and spotted the perfect book: Nancy Lancaster: Her Life, Her World, Her Art.  nancy lancaster1 I knew reading this book would transport me out of the jury waiting room and into a country house in Virginia and then over to England. Kelmarsh-Hall I am not yet finished with this book, but am finding it totally fascinating. nancy_lancaster I only wish they had a family tree to I could get everyone straight! Here’s a great piece from Southern Accents (RIP) about Nancy Lancaster’s houses.

Today, I found a copy of “The Englishman’s Garden” by Alvilde Lees-Milne, whom I wrote about here. the-englishmans-garden In this book, 33 Englishmen talk about the gardens that they’ve created, many times without help from a large staff or even a single gardener. The book is filled with images in black and white and in colour.

It’s nice to be transported through books!

15 comments:

  1. ah, for a secondhand bookstore like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually looking forward to jury duty! Though I have voted in every election since I was 18, I've been called only once, and that was over 25 years ago before they had the new system (also before cellphones, thank god, so I was able to read a book in peace -- I hear they have a Quiet Room now -- wonder if it's respected?). Anyway, I have a high number again on my latest summons, so let's see what happens when I call the night before. In any case, you're right -- a good book is a lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Meg you do find the most amazing things secondhand! Thanks for transporting me back to the SA piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I knew almost every garden in England is open at least on a limited basis, it did not occur to me that the interiors of Ditchley Park and Kelmarsh Hall might be open to the public as well. Of course, the fabulous Lancaster furnishings are long gone, but it would still be interesting to visit. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the fourth of our corner of the blogosphere called to Jury Duty this month. I wonder what that's about...I too got a lot of reading done. Now I've got to get the Lancaster. Just the sort of thing I'm in the mood for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll love Nancy's book, and hate how she was treated

    ReplyDelete
  7. Along with your other magnificent places in Baltimore, you need to share this secondhand bookshop...I could do some serious damage there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meg, You are very clever to turn a dreary jury duty into a trip to England!
    Best,
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Margaret,
    You have affinity for luck with the small things, a rare gift indeed, treasure it.
    Charimag

    ReplyDelete
  10. another one on my shelf - have yet to finish - too many books, too little time

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I last had jury duty in Baltimore City, I was shocked at the trashy movies that were shown to potential jurors! I buried my head in my magazines all day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read the Lancaster book quite recently, and now am reading the biography of James Lees-Milne! You can imagine how I love this post! I've got to look out for "Englishman's Garden"; sounds superb for a good read right after a snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky you to even find a copy of the Nancy Lancaster book as I think it is somewhat hard to come by. I purchased a copy when it came out years ago and found it a very enjoyable read. Great food for thought for those interested in interior design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's a companion book, 'The Englishwoman's Garden' by the same authors which I found by chance here in the UK. It's a wonderful escape to read on a dreary day. I'm on the lookout for yours now too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very bad form to call jury duty hideous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.