July 29, 2014

JBKO@85

When I was a child, I thought that the Carolinas were named after Caroline Kennedy and I was jealous. But it was really her mother who I always kept my eye on. Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis was always a serene figure in the background of images of Caroline, and it wasn’t until later that I became interested in her. I started collecting books about her, mostly from my beloved Book Thing. IMG_1704

JBKO was from an era when your actions spoke louder than your words. When you went out, you looked like a lady with a hat and gloves, regardless… That you took great pride in being a mother, and then being a friend to your children. Her clothes have a timeless quality, and with small tweaks, much of what she wore would be perfectly appropriate today.

I thought I’d share some of my favourite books with you and I will add links, in case you’re interested in acquiring them for your own library.

The John F. Kennedys: A Family Album by Mark Shaw. I have the original 1964 version (bottom) and a re-issued 2000 version. IMG_1714IMG_1735

Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy by Mary van Rensselaer ThayerIMG_1716

What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis IMG_1743

Mrs. Kennedy: The Missing History of the Kennedy YearsIMG_1719

Mrs. Kennedy Goes Abroadby Jacqueline DuhĂȘmeIMG_1749

Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life by Donald SpotoIMG_1721

A Woman Named Jackie: An Intimate Biography of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy OnassisIMG_1751

All Too Human: The Love Story of Jack and Jackie KennedyIMG_1722

Remembering Jackie: A Life in PicturesIMG_1733

Jacqueline Kennedy : The White House Years: Selections from the John F. Kennedy Library and Museum by Hamish Bowles. This is one of the best books on JBKO’s fashion and style when she was in the White House. IMG_1739

Jackie IMG_1747

Kennedy Weddings: A Family AlbumIMG_1755

I have even more, and I am lucky that I find them with relative frequency at the Book Thing. While there’s probably not a lot of new information about JBKO, there are always new images.

Happy Birthday to JBKO!

15 comments:

  1. Lord have mercy. This is the FIRST time you have dished on this subject, no ? Is this the inspiration for your photography? My Jacqueline K library has nothing on you. Happy Birthday to me as of yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've written about her a few other times. Especially in regards to the trip abroad and the Hamish Bowles book.
      Here

      Delete
  2. I must say I do enjoy your blog, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was a bit special indeed. I have to read more about her fascinating life. Thanks for the reminder.
    Di
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, you might enjoy this one also on her years working as an editor. I was fascinated.
    http://www.amazon.com/Jackie-Editor-Literary-Jacqueline-Kennedy/dp/0312591934/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406719155&sr=1-1&keywords=jacqueline+kennedy+editor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I do have that, and forgot to add it! If you look on the bookshelf picture, you can see it on top.

      Delete
  5. I have not read a lot about Jacqueline Kennedy, but I find it fascinating that a woman who seemed so shy would become one of the biggest celebrities ever. There are so many people out there these days who will do anything to stay in the limelight--but have so little talent and so few accomplishments. I find it hard to look at photographs of the Kennedys though, because the tragedies the family endured really sadden me-- the picture of Jackie and son John is kind of heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was because she was so shy that people wanted to know more about her. The re-issued Mark Shaw book is dedicated to JFK jr.

      Delete
  6. she would be 85! + unbelievable + love her + bless her. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if she would have let her hair go grey?

      Delete
  7. A bit envious of your collection Meg as I adore jackie and all she stands for!
    I also wish we would have a Book Thing!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    C.Z. Guest: American Style Icon
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the collection! I have most of those as well. Happy Birthday JBKO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great collection! What I wouldn't do to live in an era full of well dressed and groomed people. She was so amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.