April 6, 2014

High Point: Day 1

Day 1 at High Point wasn’t exactly what I thought it would be. It started off wonderfully with a visit to the Williamsburg group. If you’re thinking the old dull muted colours of yesteryear, think again! (Click here for a story I wrote a few months ago.)wmsbg1

After that, I headed over to meet up with some friends to see Barry Dixon’s new line of furniture in conjunction with C2 paints. image

As I stood in the parking lot, looking in my phone for the building number in broad daylight, I was mugged. Two people drove up in a truck, one got out and tried to grab my bag. I struggled a bit, the bag ripped and all of my things went flying! bagSo all they got was a half of a canvas handbag, and maybe some Kleenex. I am fine, although I did fall down and scrape my knees and break the fingernails on one hand, but that’s all small.

Unfortunately, one of the casualties was my camera, which can still take pictures, but it’s cracked and I can’t download anything. So until I get back to Baltimore, no pix of my own.

After that adventure, I did manage to see Barry’s new line, which is gorgeous! And then I headed over to W. Schillig one of my sponsors. They make the most beautiful and sleek leather sofas. image

From there, it was over to see the folks at HGTV who now have their own lines of fabrics, paints, floor coverings and furniture. image

Then I headed to a party for Thom Filicia’s new line of paints with Farrow & Ball. image

The evening ended up with a great cocktail party given by Architectural Digest where I saw lots of blog friends.

Monday holds lots of new adventures, but hopefully, it’s a lot calmer!

41 comments:

  1. Good God, that is horrific. I'm glad you are all right - were you alone when this happened? Well, here's to you, Meg , for continuing on with your day and ending up at a great cocktail party! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was alone, but the people who own the showroom whose driveway I was in, came to my rescue seconds after it happened.

      Delete
  2. Hello Meg, What a terrible experience. I'm glad you came out relatively unscathed. Like Market Decor above, I admire your spirit for rising above this incident and not letting it ruin your day.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!! What an absolute violation. I am so sorry to hear that but I am glad you are ok and nothing too serious came of it. I am glad you gave a bit of a fight. Was there CCTV? I hope they get caught. I hope you have a peaceful rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No CCTV. It's not as prevalent here as it is in the UK.

      Delete
  4. Glad you are ok! Impossible to keep a "good" woman down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a trooper! Good for you for carrying on. But keep an eye out for potential trouble and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had obligations to fulfill, so i needed to stay.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry this happened to you. This is really, really scary. I hope the rest of your visit is really, really safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're ok. I really enjoy your recap of the market. Be safe.jd

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry this happened. It makes me angry and I don't even know you. This Okie gal appreciates your blog and wishes you well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How alarming that such a horrid attack could happen in broad daylight! I'm sorry this happened to you and admire your gumption to carry on. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you're OK after the attack! That's outrageous - I would have thought High Point was a safe place, especially in the daytime.

    I enjoy your blog very much.
    Best,
    Elisabeth Carrel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Elizabeth. I thought it would have been safe, too!

      Delete
  11. I still can't believe that happened to you! And they actually drove up in a truck, got out, and tried to take your bag? Nutcases! So glad nothing happened to you, and also that they didn't get anything for their stupid act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them drive up, wait about 30 seconds, get out and then when I turned around, the guy was grabbing my bag. The whole thing couldn't have taken more than 30-40 seconds.

      Delete
  12. So sorry that happened to you and so glad you weren't seriously hurt. I admire your pluck in carrying on with your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry, Meg! As a lurker, I love you blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meg, so glad you were relatively unhurt and hung onto your phone. You have grit and were quick thinking! Take care of yourself down there. I so enjoy your blog.
    Joana

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you are being extra good to yourself, sometimes things like that can be quite a delayed shock....don't get too worn out, etc!

    sorry, can't help coming over all Mum-sy!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awful experience and so glad you are okay. Great to finally meet you in person at market, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Meg I am just seeing this! Sorry that happened to you - glad you're not seriously injured. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. just seeing this..ugh, what a thing to happen! in daylight hours! + you carried on with such vigor+ be safe. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad that you are alright. What a nasty shock that must have been! Reggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reggie. It was a huge shock! Mugged in Mayberry? Who'd have thunk?

      Delete
  20. Just catching up and was shocked to see that this had happened to you-- so glad that you're okay. You handled it well by not quitting your trip, and taking the peaceful scenic journey home. Be good to yourself over the next several days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annette. I am feeling a lot better and am swamped at work, so that helps!

      Delete
  21. Thanking God that you were not seriously injured but praying to God that the perps are caught! Admire your spunky spirit to "carry on", Meg. Just one more rewson why I love your wonderful blog. Please stay safe....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.