February 15, 2011

Rasta Pasta

I used to write a food blog, but I gave it up. And since I never cook, it was pretty comical for me to even have a food blog. But I do like to eat!

Tonight, for dinner I had something I call Rasta Pasta. It’s not a recipe, but a shape of pasta, which got me to thinking about all of the amazing shapes of pasta. Pasta2When I was in Italy a few years ago, I saw shapes and sizes that I’d never seen in the States, and I brought a number of bags of pasta home. My Rasta Pasta is really fusilli col buco, which is a 16-inch long spiral shape, with a hole down the center, so it can cook evenly. (Click the picture below for the recipe)pastaMy recipe is super simple: fusilli col buco pasta + a dab of very good butter + parmigiano reggiano, shaved on top with a Microplane grater + a sprinkle of good sea salt.

Damn! Looking at some of the recipes with the pictures of fusilli col buco, I might just have to start cooking. fusillicolbucosalmoneez Too bad the recipe for this is in Italian! (Click the picture for the recipe.)

9 comments:

  1. Oh yum Meg this time of year it seems I could eat day in and out, Especially comfort food!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold on tight, don't give in to that cooking urge. It can only lead to trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so pasta it is for dinner! Thank you for making that decision for me before 8 am. Now I can get on
    with the rest of my day.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of the best articles on food in general, pasta in particular, that I've ever read.
    http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/09/06/040906fa_fact_buford. Did you see it? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE what MYBABYJOHN said....and you should heed that advice...I know from experience!!!

    But if you DO make dinner...CALL ME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just printed this recipe - and rearranging the apartment so I have a proper dining area - so NEXT TIME YOU'RE IN NYC (and must come meet Ellie) - I WILL MAKE THIS FOR DINNER! (How's that for incentive to get you fanny up here!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serves 2:

    170 g di fusilli col buco 170 g fusilli with a hole

    2 zucchine medie 2 medium zucchini

    mezza confezione di panna al salmone half a pack of cream salmon

    1 spicchio d'aglio 1 clove garlic

    olio evo extra virgin olive oil

    sale, pepe salt, pepper

    basilico basil

    parmigiano grattato grated Parmesan cheese

    mezzo bicchiere di vino bianco ½ cup white wine

    Soffriggere l'aglio nell'olio in una padella, aggiungere poi le zucchine tagliate a dadini e sfumare col vino. Sauté garlic in oil in a frying pan, then add the diced zucchini and blend with the wine. Lasciare che le zucchine siano cotte dopodichè aggiungere la panna col sale e il pepe. Let the zucchini is cooked, then add the cream with salt and pepper.

    Nel frattempo cuocere i fusilli in abbondante acqua salata e, una volta scolati, saltarli in padella col sugo. Meanwhile, cook the fusilli in boiling salted water and, once drained, toss in the pan with the sauce. Prima di impiattare aggiungere il basilico spezzettato con le mani e il parmigiano. Serve before adding the basil and parmesan cheese with your hands.

    Servire subito. Serve immediately. Buon appetito. Enjoy your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite is cavatappi, which you can get here (De Cecco has some). It holds every last drop of sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We were just talking about this last night. One of our favorites is bucatini, which is similar to what you write about here in that it has a hole in the center, thus holding onto the sauce. You don't see bucatini very often in the States, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.