October 8, 2010

My National TV Debut*

If you’ve been reading, you may have gathered that I’ve been in New York City on and off over the past two weeks. I can finally reveal my big secret!

I was asked to film a few segments of The Nate Berkus Show! As you may know, Nate was Oprah’s decorator and for the past six years, he’s been the on-show, in-house decorator, solving viewers’ design problems and giving tips and hints on designing your own space.meg & nateBut one of the things that Nate loves to do is scour flea markets around the country finding unique things for his clients.  Wow! I like doing that, too. So, Nate’s show called and sent down a camera crew to film our Pigtown Pop-Up Flea a few weeks ago.Nelle at Stone Hill Farm5The show gave me the challenge to buy some treasures for $100 and see how I could parlay that into more money. I managed to do pretty well, with a copper stock pot purchased for $15 and currently for sale at a “major kitchen store” for $400.  On-line, I found one fork for $23, identical to the four on the bottom left that I bought for $5.00.  These are the shots before I cleaned the items.

PopUp 018 PopUp 013
Cocktail forks Colonial Candlestick

Late Monday, my terrific friend Tracey, who is one of the owners of Housewerks, where we had the Flea, and I took off to NYC looking a bit like the Beverly Hillbillies with a car filled with treasures. 

7-13 038 8-31 034
22-8 033 9-17 015

Tuesday was a day of shooting the show, with full hair, make-up and posh car service followed. It was nerve-wracking, but Nate’s incredible production staff and stage crew were more than kind to me and made sure I got through filming without a hitch.

What was originally intended to be one five-minute segment, morphed into about 13 minutes once Nate saw what we were bringing. Nate! They interspersed the video they’d shot with the on-set segments and wove it all together to tell the story of the “Junk Whisperer” (with apologies to my friend, Christian May at Maison 21 who came up with the term).  It was such a success that I’ve been back to shoot another segment already.

The first segment that I am in will air on Monday, October 11th. Check your local listings for time, or click here to see when it’s on. You can watch the promo video here.

*If you don’t count the time I was on Captain Kangaroo when I was four.

38 comments:

  1. How cool! You'll be signing autographs soon.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, me again. I just had a thought- You could be the new Oprah! You've got it kid!

    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm literally shaking with excitement for you!!! Congrats!!! This is awesome news! I am kicking myself for not contributing items to the Pop Up Flea. Can NOT wait to see this episode!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY COW, Meg! Awesome to the nth degree! I'm also jealous about Capt. Kangaroo, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see the show - More importantly - can't wait for you to come back to NYC! - Wendy & Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  6. how great is that?!
    totally happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! Congrats & can't wait to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. * CONGRATS~~~ on EVERYTHING!!!

    ...and to think, we knew you "WHEN"!!!

    ENJOY every fascinating minute of your new experiences!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo! we shoould probably start calling you Baltimore Jones..treasure hunter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alright !! We have a superstar in our midst! What a blast,,,,go Meg!


    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! What a wonderful experience, now you just don't know where it will lead to...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Meg! Those are great finds. I especially like the 15-dollar copper pot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meg, this is fantastic!!! A huge congratulations...you just never know what will arise from following your passions. What an inspiration to everyone with a dream. Thanks for keeping it all a secret until the shows were under wraps. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats Meg, how exciting! Can't wait to watch!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting Meg. Will google the show on monday. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, and we knew her when. I can't wait, my TIVO is set

    ReplyDelete
  17. So exciting - I can't wait to see it. There was a time when I didn't think you could top Captain Kangaroo, but I think you did.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the sneak peek -it's set on my tivo!
    So cool you were on Captain Kangaroo!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's very exciting, Meg! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. CONGRATULATIONS!! And I hope one day you come all the way down here to Argentina to find some good treasures!! I wish I could find when the show is on the air on the local TV (some American channels arrive through Direct TV)!! YOU GO GIRL!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I may just have to break down and buy a TV! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow ... setting the TV recorder NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations Meg....good luck with the show.....Have a wonderful weekend, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We already set the DVR. Baby Whitney wants your autograph!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations!

    I don't want to miss this.

    Do you know the air-date?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats Meg, that's exciting beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  27. wowee wow wow wow - this is so exciting - cannot wait to see the show. you are on a roll - more things to come - maybe you will become a regular - you junk whisperer!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Go Meg!! Congrats! Just checked, and it is on at 2am here -- will set the dvr!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey, way to go! Looking forward to seeing your segment! ROCK ON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooooh, I can wait! Congratulations and so well deserved. I've got to figure out when this comes on here. Haven't watched yet. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Captain Kangaroo?!? Be still, my heart.

    Oh, yes, almost forgot: Congrats on Nate Berkus, too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow I don't check your blog for a few days and look what happens, you go and become a big TV star on me!!! Congratulations, you so deserve this wonderful opportunity! I can't wait to see the shows!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the Nate Berkus Show. looking forward to seeing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations, Meg!
    That is so exciting!!!!! Can't wait to see the show. Going to the DVR right now. Your finds are great!! Looking forward to your tips on Nate's blog.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  35. That's terrific news. Congratulations Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I saw it! You were fabulous -- you seemed perfectly at ease and you had great presence. (And Nate Berkus is cute as a button!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.