March 9, 2010

Bits & Pieces

WOW. Today was just gorgeous. Clear and sunny and actually warm! Or at least in the 60’s. While there are still huge piles of snow in parking lots and on street corners, it’s almost beginning to feel like we’re through the bad winter weather. However, I’ve probably just jinxed the entire Mid-Atlantic area with that statement, as we’ve had some really bad snowstorms in mid-March.

Don’t forget to enter the contest for Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams’ new book, The Comfortable Home: How to Invest in Your Nest and Live Well for Less (Clarkson Potter/Melcher Media, 2009, $35.00). All you have to do to enter is leave a comment on this post or this post and tell us what makes a comfortable home for you.The House Downtown 001I have a special post planned for St. Patrick’s Day. Last year, I wrote about an abandoned church in Ireland that had been converted into a home. Well, Andrew Lohan, the owner of the Kilgallen Church wrote to me recently, and I asked him if he’d do a piece about the conversion of the house.  He will talk about the process, decisions made and the end result, and we’ll get some fabulous pictures. The Kilgallen Church is now available for rentals.Kilgallen Church Don’t forget about the Spring Tour de Baltimore coming up on Friday, March 19th and Saturday, March 20th. If you are interested, please drop me an e-mail here and let me know. I will be sending details by e-mail later this week. monument 017I’ve just added a number of new items to my Etsy shop, including some gorgeous French Art Deco forks. As I continue deaccessioning my things, I will be adding them to the site.  The link to the site is in the column to the right of the posts.03-09 025 As always, thanks for reading Pigtown*Design! I appreciate it more than you will ever know!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Meg! It really was gorgeous today, wasn't it. Sooo hard to go back into the office after lunch! Have fun with the tour de balto -- am regretting to miss a chance to get to DeBois, et al. Fingers crossed for the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The number # 1 thing that makes a home comfortable to me...a DOG....(at least a dog friendly home which usually means slipcovers) Other elements...layers and history. Furniture I can curl up in with a cup of coffee. Items collected over time. And the most important element...a house filled with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for the sunshine Meg. It even got to 77F here today although not a lot of sun. The Mitchell/Gold book sounds terrific. What makes a comfortable home for me is knowing that people can relax and not feel like they can't let their guard down and feel at ease. Stuffy if not on the menu nor is a lot of white. I don't want to worry about my furry one not feeling welcome too.
    Looking forward to Mr. Lohan's post. Will be very fun to read.
    All my best to you Meg. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, add me in for the book drawing, please! Depending on how I think of the question of what makes a comfortable home, I have two different answers. Aesthetically speaking, a comfortable home needs visual balance. Doesn't matter so much what the style is, but order and balance (in size and color) make a space feel relaxing. Generally speaking, a warm and welcoming host or hostess is the most important thing for a comfortable home! A fantastic room can be ruined by a hostile hostess.
    - Meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. my house is comfortable because all the pieces are "real"..... very worn and loved. The only new items are the television, computer and appliances. I love old but I am practical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read more about the church conversion!

    And I already left a comment on your other post about the wonderful book giveaway, hope I win!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That church now home is lovely! I'm looking forward to reading more about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what makes a comfortable home for me is a feeling welcome the minute you walk in...the smell of a great candle, a great club chair with ottoman to put you feet up, a fur throw to cuddle up with, a sweet interesting table beside and a great cup of coffee to sip while you enjoy talking to your loved one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Horrah for Spring! Beautiful here too. Kids outside. True spring break.

    Comfortable? Nothing "off limits", lots of books, a good light or two and a leather chair (or couch) to read in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Meg, please add me to the drawing for the book! What makes a home comfortable for me? Cozy atmosphare, lots of lighting options, candles, soft fabrics, generous seating, books, natural light, music, a well organized kitchen, a romantic bedroom and most importantly: Having my family around!!!
    Love this post!

    XX
    V.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meg, Great Idea!! I'd love to be in the drawing for the book! My comfort needs are pretty simple. I like to select furniture that is actually used often and for all kinds of purposes- the dining table is also a craft table, the book cases are filled with books that we read, the coffee table is for feet too! the other thing that makes a home comfortable for me is displaying art you love, especially if you or a family member painted it! Lissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was absolutely fascinated by the tall tower and the collection of forks. It’s a very rare collection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful pieces of architecture. I love the old church. It looks very historic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.