October 25, 2009

I’ll Take This: The House on St. Mary’s Lane

About ten years ago, my parents took my siblings, their children and me to England for much of the summer. We rented two knitter’s cottages in the small Cotswold town of Tewkesbury. The houses were beautifully sited, just around the corner from the incredible Tewkesbury Abbey (which you can see in the background to the left of the house) and just a short three-minute walk to the Severn River.Tewkesbury Two of the three adjacent cottages were owned by the Landmark Trust, and the third (on the right) was privately owned, although it was also restored by the Landmark Trust.Tewkesbury5Imagine my surprise when I was looking through the Guardian’s real estate pictures today and I saw one of the knitter’s cottages for sale for the somewhat reasonable price of £275,000. Inside are three bedrooms,  Tewkesbury3a sitting room, a dining room, a study and a kitchen. Outside the garden is a mere courtyard. It also has a garage, which is both a rarity and a convenience. The view from the back of the house looks over the Severn River, the Ham and across to the Wye River and the hills beyond.Tewkesbury2Since I already know this house and the town, I will take it!

7 comments:

  1. The light is terrific! I think it's a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a LOVELY place!!! How could you not love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm in too!!! We can do timeshare... I've been dying to move back to England anyway.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such charming buildings -- what a great place for a family vacation. And I love that last picture. Could the area be any more picturesque?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty!

    I've always felt like I should visit that area, if only because I grew up on OUR Severn River...

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg - I love this! you actually spent the summer here????? wow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.