October 14, 2009

I Love This Door

What is it about doors in the UK and around Europe that makes them look so brilliant? I think it’s a combination of the architecture, the rich paint colours and the patina on the hardware.

I saw this door on a house in the Guardian and it reminded me of a few other favourites. I love the robin’s egg blue, the classical columns and the pediment. It’s really perfect in my book.

door1 copy

This one is on a building in Baltimore that I’ve always loved. It’s such a strong door, but it’s very elegant in its lines. I have always been very curious about what this building houses. temples 012 I saw this door in London’s Chelsea neighbourhood last year and just adored the bright lemony-yellow. Another thing that I love about European doors is that many of them have the doorknob in the center of the door, not below or above the locks.5d 003 I find that when I travel, I take pictures of doors. If you send me a picture of your favourite door, I will post along with the ones above.

Megan who works for a local preservation organization sent me this door which is perfect for the season. BOO! Spooky doorMandy from AngloFiles sent this door from a church in Edinburgh, Scotland.

11 comments:

  1. oohh the yellow! How happy they must be to come home to that. I would never have the courage to commit to it unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute ghostie door! I've never seen windows like that.
    I love a bright door and would probably paint mine bright too if I could talk the hubs into getting rid of our screen door. It has its advantages but does get in the way of the view of a pretty door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed!! My apartment in Ireland had a big gorgeous Georgian yellow door - I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a fan of doors. I have an extra data entry only for pictures of doors and windows.... Wherever I go and I see beautiful doors or windows I photograph away...you've got some truly lovely ones up there!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want to go to that last door and sand it down, prime and paint. What a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the last door. Wear and tear included. But the teardrop/boteh-shape panes are the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to Cube and AAL. The tear drops (although I first called them paisleys) with the different mouldings topped off the with rope surround: smashing! I wonder who designed this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love European doors that are so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love brightly colored or uniquely designed doors. They give a home personality and really set the tone for the rest of the house. These ones are great, especially the bright yellow and "spooky" white door.Very cool

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.