May 5, 2009

Billy Baldwin Remembers (SIGNED)

At the risk of becoming a one trick pony, I have to tell you about my terrific find this afternoon. Here's the back story: It's almost Mother's Day in the US, and my mother likes screw-back earrings, which are difficult to find these days. There's a place I know where all of the wealthy old dowagers donate their things, and so I have pretty good luck finding earrings for Mother.

I stopped by there on my way downtown this afternoon, and as I was checking out (I found what I was looking for), out of the corner of my eye, I saw a copy of Billy Baldwin Remembers. After I stopped gasping, I asked to see it and the manager told me it was signed! He showed me what they were charging, and then said that it had been there for a while, and since no-one else knew what it was, he'd give me a discount... about a 60% discount!

When we were at Ladew this weekend, they had copies of this book and BB Decorates. I know that BB Remembers mentions Harvey Ladew and Evergreen House. Too bad I have a dinner date tonight, because it's a perfect night to curl up with a good book. (Even though dinner was lots of fun and I had the most charming companion.)

17 comments:

  1. Omg! WHAT A FIND! Too bad it wasn't at the book thing, but 60% off is close enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll love it as he dishes quite a bit (anonymously.) Decorates is in you near future, I can feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been equally as ecstatic. What a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous I can't stand it. Found the book in the Mystic Library in Connecticut a thousand years ago...okay, 1988...and waited forever to get my own copy (eBay? a few years ago). But it is not...

    Signed.

    Sign. Congratulations. It must be a good omen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now see, spotting this book--and getting the smart-lady discount to boot--was clearly a reward for being a good daughter & driving clear across town to do something nice for Mom. Oh, sure, you could have called 1-800-TOO-BUSY & ordered a cheap bouquet or those chocolate-covered strawberries but then you wouldn't have found your book. Congratulations!

    As ye sow, so shall ye reap. Gal. 6:1

    ReplyDelete
  6. * "DITTO" to MAGNAVERDE, girlfriend!!! Best, Linda in AZ*

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is the most fabulous news. i saw your book envy when we were at Ladew and know how much you wanted this book...and for it to be signed, well that is just icing on the cake...now do tell where you got it

    ReplyDelete
  8. oboyoboyoboy! you are in NO WAY a one trick pony and if this isn't worth posting and sharing the love then nothing is. enjoy for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If we couldn't be the one to find it, then there's no one more deserving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These books know where to find you!
    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How come I never find any great books there?!

    Love the new header.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do have a knack with books, Meg. They seem to be attracted to you. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is nothing like found treasure,
    serendipitous is the best word ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Billy Baldwin. Love the book.I would pick Sheila Bridges as his heir. Classic, livable, timeless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.