November 19, 2008

Liberty Animals

Tucked behind the hustle and bustle of Oxford Street, you will find the serenity of the half-timbered Tudor building that houses Liberty of London. Founded by Arthur Lazenby Libert in 1875 as East India House, it would change the face of fashion and design. My first memory of Liberty is from their signature floral print shirts, skirts and scarves.
Two buildings, the original 1850's section and the "new" 1927 section, combine to form a maze of rooms on six levels, with two large center atriums, one with a hanging sculputral light.
One of the things I discovered on this trip - and I can't imagine how I ever could have missed it before - is the wooden figural carvings around the railing in the atrium. These reminded me of the animals around the castle wall at Cardiff. You can see the carvings in the top of the two pictures of the atrium, where rugs are hanging.

The Eagle The Owl The Bear The Monkey The Gnome
The Elephant
The Lion
I haven't been able to find any history of these carvings, so if anyone knows, please share it! I am also curious as to why there are only seven figures... Did I forget to take the last one, or are there really only seven?

19 comments:

  1. I love Liberty's so much. Have you seen the new book about the store in the 1950s and 1960s? Dreadful book, badly produced, but full of good information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AL... did they produce it or did someone else? It would be surprising that they wouldn't have a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love LIberty's and I think it is often forgotten in the rush for Harrod's or Selfridges. They have wonderful fashion floors but my favourite is the ground floor with the accessories, make up, perfumes and gifts. Did you go into the scented candle department ...heaven. xv

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I love those animals... and the gnome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this store, its reputation and the product so very much! And those animals!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, it's a publication of the Antique Collectors' Club ... http://www.antique-acc.com/accltd/servlet/oase.article.showArticle?art_event=GET_ART&ident=Art&art_vnr=185149572X

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are wood? they look bronzed to me?

    JOni

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're probably the same wood as the railings, etc. I think it's probably the lighting...

    Happy B-day, Joni!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore Liberty. The building, the merchandise, the whole aesthetic. Their grapefruit jojoba soap is divine. I just wish they would bring back the Liberty-print Christmas ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, I totally agree. I thought a lot of the ornaments they had were tacky and garish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Never commented before but couldn't resist chiming in.

    What an amazing contrast between the wood building, carved figures and the magnificent light installations! Would you happen to know if the chandeliers are by Sharon Marston? I just love them!

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, the best store ever.
    The owl has always been my favorite. He looks as though he's about to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots Meg - I love it that you use your own photography on your blog - wish I had more time(and more skill) to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried to find out more about the wooden carvings, but thus far to no avail. However, as it's mock Tudor, it is possible that there is some connection there, although the goblin seems a bit out of place in that theory.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Columnist... thanks for checking. I can't find any information on them, either. There's a book that An Aesthete's Lament suggested, but I haven't looked into that yet. There also doesn't seem to be any huge history of the buildings on Liberty's site, either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi to all. I much like the eye-catching hanging lights there than the animal statue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of my friend's used to work for Liberty in Visuals. I will ask if he knows anything in regards to these animals and report back!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.