September 16, 2008

Animal Wall at Cardiff Castle

Cardiff is the youngest capital in the European Union, at just over 50 years old. Wales has its own devolved Assembly government, but not a parliament. Cardiff Castle or Castell Caerdydd in Welsh, is an interesting grouping of several diverse architectures, including a Roman wall, a Norman castle (below) and a Victorian castle. The most interesting part, to me, was the stone wall fronting part of the property.
The wall is notable in that it has a number of animals which look like they're trying to climb over and out to freedom. Originally, there were eight animals, but during a road-widening project in the early 1900's, several more were added. The strange fact is that none of the animals are native to Wales, or even the UK. They include oddities such as a lynx, a vulture, a beaver, a seal, a racoon, an ant-eater, monkeys and a pelican, amongst others. Most look like they were carved by someone who'd never actually seen what the animal looked like.
Pretty funny, huh?

13 comments:

  1. I love them, especially the seal and the monkeys! It's great when people can have a little fun with something like this. When we were in Oxford a few weeks ago, I found some faces with silly expressions. When I get my act together, I'll post them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're funny but charming! I love those! We need the modern day equivilent in buildings today -architecture doesn't have to be so serious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best! What a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those animals! They have so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU3Xeo0kabc

    I've always loved this song...and it involves a castle...among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to put the animal names under the pictures, but I couldn't figure out what some of them were!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought that I would be a lion if I were an animal. I think it comes from the fact that my last name is King and I would want to be like the Wizard of Oz Lion at the end with the crown and cape. Is the lion the king of the jungle or king of the forest?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie... this one might be King of the Castle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really interesting! I owe you an answer about the rain the other weak - we got about 4 inches or so and some of it ended up in my basement, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have got to show this to my daughters. They will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Should be called Critter Castle - how cool!

    -Lana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.