April 3, 2015

Happy Easter & Passover Weekend!

In a rare coincidence of dates, Easter and Passover are on the same weekend. Or at least parts are. My family’s tradition is to make hot cross buns for Good Friday, and indeed, one of my sisters made some, most likely from my father’s old recipe from England. IMG_0606

Don’t they look delicious?IMG_0605

Most regrettably, I am going to have to buy some, but not from Panera. Theirs are ghastly. There’s a place close to my house that decent ones.

I am usually assigned to make something, but I haven’t decided what yet. This was the 2012 offering:image

So I have about 36 hours to think of something, buy the ingredients and make it! Any suggestions?

Here’s the Easter/Passover e-mail we sent to everyone at the office.MarciaFor those who don’t know, this is Marcia Crocker Noyes. She’s our resident ghost at work. You can read about her here. And seriously, when I wonder why she still haunts the place, I remember what I do to her picture.

9 comments:

  1. Pigs in a blanket. I grill the hot dogs/ sausage on a grill pan on the stove to crisp, char, and render some fat. The use crescent rolls halved, as the dogs are cut into thirds -- yes there is math involved, then brush with mustard then roll and bake. honestly when was the last time you had pigs in a blanket??? then there is pimento cheese........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds yummy! Who doesn't love a good pig in a blanket!

      Delete
  2. Here in Melbourne Australia we have 'Spelt', 'Gluten Free' 'Stone Ground', 'Corn Meal' and heaven knows what else in a line of Hot Cross Buns....The ones in your photo look wonderful....the rest that I have seen in the markets here would land anyone in the depths of Hades, such is their weight! I have tried to make HCB many times....Delia, Jamie, Mary Berry, ad infinitum.....all for naught. Waste of flour, eggs, spices, sultanas, ..next time I shall just buy from a local supermarket...at 1/3 the price...and slather with French butter. N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I bought this morning were made on Monday, so while they're okay, they're a bit on the hard side. I should have checked the date before i bought them. duh.

      Delete
  3. I think you should try to make unleavened hot cross buns in celebration of Passover and Good Friday; it would be quite a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me! We have had some years when the buns haven't risen and are pretty much unleavened!

      Delete
  4. The hedgehog is charming. You could try: blanched or grilled asparagus wrapped in prosciutto; Dorie Greenspan's gougeres (you can make ahead and bake at the last minute); slices of cucumber with a dab of quark on top (lighter than cream cheese) and then a little sliver of smoked salmon (perhaps arranged like a flower petal) and a snip of dill; or a lovely soft date from the produce section (remove the pit, put in a dab of orange juice flavored cream cheese and insert a Marcona almond.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! That all sounds so delish! I actually made gougeres a year or so ago and i also made some trashy oyster crackers and ranch dressing mix snack, and every one ate the crackers. :-(

      Delete
  5. This has been a fav at our cocktail parties: http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/304286/cheddar-pecan-torte/?locale=en_US

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.