April 5, 2015

Confessions of a Serial Entertainer - It’s NOT Me!

When I met Steven Stolman several years ago at Scalamandré, he could not have been more charming and lovely. He’d just published Scalamandré Haute Décor and I devoured every inch of this gorgeous book. You can read my thoughts here.Scalamandre

When I heard that he had two more books in the production line, I was gleefully anticipating them. The first, Confessions of A Serial Entertainer is the story of his entertaining exploits for the past 30+ years. confessionsHis memories of his parents’ parties when he was growing up mirror my own, except for the kosher part of it. The recipes he showcases in this book are all familiar to me. And best of all, most of them are fairly simple to make – just four or five ingredients that most of us have in the kitchen.Confessions of a Serial Entertainer (2)

The photography is just gorgeous, beautifully lit and elegantly done. And I love the line drawings that are scattered throughout the book.Confessions of a Serial Entertainer (3)

I like this book because it tells the stories behind some of the meals and then it gives the recipes. As I said, most a pretty simple, so it’s going to be a book that I use a lot for my cooking. Confessions of a Serial Entertainer (1)While I CAN cook, I mostly choose not to, unless people are coming over, and when they do, I’d rather be spending time with them than being stuck in the kitchen.Confessions of a Serial Entertainer (4)

For one of Steven’s more complicated recipes, Chicken Provençal, and the story behind it, check out this article in the New York Times Magazine.

Oh, I mentioned that Steven has two books in publication – the other is Forty Years of Fabulous, the history of the Kips Bay Show-house in NYC, and I will be heading up to New York for a launch party for it next month. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. Meg, I bought this the other day, after seeing you mention it on Facebook. I love it! I also have a (small) collection of vintage cookbooks - I find them endlessly entertaining. This is such a fun book - and so useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steven talks about his love of old cookbooks, especially the churchwomen's ones. I found an amazing wood-covered, double-spiral cookbook from the Lake Roland Garden Club, published in the 1930's. Pretty amazing stuff in that one.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a book I most definitely need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need that one + make it a habit to buy cookbooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the chuckle! The title of your post made me laugh so much "It's NOT me!". This looks to be a very fun read.

    I hope you had a wonderful Easter and figured out what dish to cook too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading the Times article I am enthralled & enchanted! Think I will buy this one. I, too, love old cookbooks...cannot resist them. Thank you, Meg!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.