June 27, 2014

Better Blues

I was nicely chided for having bad images of the Real Old Willow on the blog, so please forgive me! I took them when I got home from the auction in very bad light. So in the clear afternoon light today, I took some more pictures, and hopefully, this will give you a much better idea of how beautiful the china actually is!

Sugar bowl and two creamers

The two creamers are actually different.

The gravy boat

Medium-size platter

This is the side view of it.

There are three sizes of plates, with 12 in each size.

The dinner plate

Tea cup and saucer

Cup

The saucer is actually quite deep.

Vegetable dish or small tureen

Details of the lid

Two of the different marks. There are several other marks, all of which are slightly different.

Buying at auction is a great way to be green. It’s also a lot of fun, especially if you can stop yourself from getting carried away.

If there’s any interest, I will organize an auction trip later in the summer. I’ve done this on an individual basis and it helps people get over their fear of bidding on some crazy item for an outrageous amount of money, just by scratching their ear!

24 comments:

  1. Lucky lady. This china is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, just had to wait until the bitter end of the auction!

      Delete
  2. I thought it looked good yesterday. But today, holy cow! It is beautiful. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply splendid! And great condition from the pieces you've shown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I can see, they're in perfect condition. Not a chip or a crack.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful and I bet you got a super deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty good. It was a price I was comfortable paying!

      Delete
  5. Just gorgeous! I'm glad it's gone to a good home, where it'll be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's going to go to lots of good homes. I am selling it on... sharing the wealth.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I am definitely interested in an auction field trip, as long as I don't have to ride a bus and bring a sack lunch! I'm in DC so getting to Baltimore is no problem. Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. I need to check the auction schedule for a good Saturday auction.

      Delete
  7. This is beautiful china! I have always loved good china - this is especially pretty Blue Willow. I haven't been to a auction in forever - what is the market like for china now? Just wondering, it seems younger people (I'm thinking around the 30ish crowd) don't seem to have any knowledge or interest in china at all. In looking at all the trendy decor mags online I rarely see any china except maybe the random dish used for holding rings and things. Which I like a random dish for rings too..but you get what I am saying. Well, they are missing out I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The market for china is variable. I have seen huge sets of Limoges go for a song. At one auction a 100+ set of hand-painted Limoges went for nothing. Sad.

      When you can buy excellent china for so little, it actually makes it less expensive than department store/target/ikea china.

      Delete
  8. Elizabeth SpeicherJune 29, 2014 at 11:54 PM

    To attend an auction with you and your incredible store of knowledge would be a real treat, Alas, I fear I might be tempted to bid against you if something as beautiful as this china were to be on the block. Is it Alex Cooper that has all these marvelous goodies? And have you ever been to the Dixon Auction in Crumpton, Maryland on the Eastern Shore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to Dixon's! Such fun (as long as it's decent weather!).

      Delete
  9. ...should have commented yesterday, so the china is equally as beautiful today!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.