February 20, 2009

Ansel Adams

Today is the birthday of photographer Ansel Adams. His striking black and white photographs of the American wilderness and the American West are as compelling today as when they were shot. Some of his best-known works include photographs of Half Dome at Yosemite National Park, Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico and a series of images of Aspens.
Half Dome, Merced River, Winter, Yosemite National Park

Aspens, Dawn Autumn, Colorado

Monolith, Face of Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

Church, Taos Pueblo

Pool, Acoma Puelbo, New Mexico

I am lucky enough to have spent time in the American Southwest, and these photos really do show the spirit of the land.

8 comments:

  1. yosemite national park is a kind of heaven. loved this post! insanely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul... I spent an incredible afternoon at Acoma Pueblo. It's about 60 miles southwest of Albuquerque.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my very favorite exhibits was seeing Ansel Adams at the Art Institute in Chicago-- thanks for the reminder of his beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Aspen's are the best I just love the quality & contrast in that photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi...I'm interested in a custom header for my blog. Could you contact me?
    jds223@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My local museum is having an Ansel Adams show right now (Plus Georgia O'Keefe but I'm not a fan). I can't wait to go as he is one of my favorite photographers. Have you ever seen any of Clyde Butcher's work?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The picture of the church in Taos was at the exhibit. The description said that critics found his work "obvious" because of his straight forward view of things. Hunh. Looks fab to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.